Question: has anyone tried the knock off gravermax machines?

konteil

i have seen a few types of generic gravermach machines that are available for about 300 that come with a handpiece and just need compressor. i have been a hand push engraver for a while now and want to try air assisted engraving but just starting out with engraving for myself i cand afford grs. even the used models are super expensive and after the reccomended compressor its just too much.

any one use any? usually called graver mate or some such. any feedback would be appreciated.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest you search the archives with the key words "China" and "Chinese", since most folks here don't actually type out cuss words like S@%t, C$ap and other assorted unsavory descriptives :) Bottom line is they're viewed as worse than worthless since having little money to start with you'll have less after purchasing one and throwing it out.

Jeremy

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some free advice: (worth everything you paid for it!!!) The thrifty man spends the most.

In engraving as in most other areas, you get what you pay for and buying cheap just means you'll be buying again soon. Put off all major purchases until you can get the best, or expect to replace it soon if you just have to have it.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I've said it before and I am living proof.... Buy quality and only cry once. I bought one of the knockoff vises and it has done nothing but impede my progress... So much so that I've been sticking to the sketchpad and instructional videos the past few weeks. Keep a sharp eye on the classifieds here and save your nickels. It paid off for me as I have a nice setup arriving tomorrow (thanks, Vdrum!!) and I can start the process all over again, this time with proper equipment. All I need now is a microscope (saving for the Leica A60... The used Meijis I see are tempting but the benefits of the Leica are just too good not to wait until I can get one!) and I'll be pretty well set.

Last edited:

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Some mighty fine engraving has been done with very basic equipment, that's for sure. I look at the tools Lee Griffiths got started with (and the work he was able to turn out with them!!) and marvel. The latest greatest is nice to have and will certainly expedite the learning curve (which is especially appealing to a 50+ year old guy like me...) but the bottom line is that you have to have the drive to get better every day, in some facet of the endeavor. Right now I'm working on my drawing skills and since I am very much a visual learner, videos are a big part of my routine also. Hand pushing will always be something I'll strive to master but I'm really looking forward to getting my GraverMach and an honest to goodness GRS vise...

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I just went for a tour through the GRS plant today. Pretty impressive setup. They machine all there parts right there (no casting) and the QC control and testing is pretty impressive. World class company all the way. Keep your eye open as used equipment will surface for you if you can't afford new right now.

77cj5

Used equipment sells fast. There was a gravermax and a GRS powerhone that was listed and sold on eBay Wednesday in 3 minutes for $850. I got the notification immediately and before I could check out with PayPal, someone else beat me to it.

Darrell

I am a purchaser of the "Graver Helper" used it for 1 hour, up for sale the next hour, I now own a Graver Max G8, I now go back and say, "what the hell was I thinking" I could not get the helper to cut a grove in a tomato, (sorta) but this G8 walks the walk and is AWESOME!

Latest posts

Sponsors