Gustav Ernst Pattern Book

I was looking at some old Colt ads from a few years ago where they did a special edition 1911 modeled after Gustav Ernst engraving style. In the description they mention that Ernst published pattern books that paved the way for American scrollwork. There are literally no places on the web where the book or any mention of it can be found outside of the description for these special colts. Anyone heard of them?

"Talo Ernst Engraved Colt 1911
The German engraver, Gustav Ernst published a series of pattern books between 1839 and 1853. Many of the now well-known early American engravers like Nimschke studied Ernst’s patterns while in industrial school in Germany. This style became the foundation of American firearms engraving when his students emigrated to this country.
the Colt Ernst Government is a full sized, series 70, stainless steel .45 with factory serial number range 001LE to 250LE. The slide flats are polished and embellished with Ernst inspired early Americanized engraving pattern, featuring an American Bald Eagle Great Seal symbol at the center. A 24kt gold rampant colt is featured on the left side of the slide complimented by a bright polished slide stop. Unique walnut checkered grips, fastened by stainless hex grip screws, feature a carved rampant colt."

GUN IRON

I also have been unable to find any books or reprints of his publications. I have several friend in Germany whom I will ask if anything is available there.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The "book" you seek is not actually a book, it is a portfolio containing pages, known as plates, that have been printed from engraved copper plates. There is a book dealer who I see every year at the Antique Arms show in Vegas who has had some of those portfolios. Each portfolio was selling for several hundred dollars.

Joe Jacob

The Metropolitan Museum of Art website appears to have some of the printed plates.

Go to: https://www.metmuseum.org/

And in the search box put:
Musterblätter enthaltend die anwendbarsten Jagdstücke u. Arabesken für Büchsenschäfter

Click on the image, on the page that then opens click on "Additional Images".
When you click on the small image a large version opens at the top of the page.
Now click on this larger image and it will open yet another bigger picture.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From “Colt Factory Engravers of the 19th centuryâ€￾. Herbert G Houze

WL

Attachments

• 0948A5DE-1221-402B-A48D-C3A26E1DBD8D.jpg
    0948A5DE-1221-402B-A48D-C3A26E1DBD8D.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 118

Latest posts

Sponsors