Bangle engraving update: fixture

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
For time's sake I made a down-&-dirty fixture from jett-set. It took a little monkeyin' around to get it thin enough and straight, but since it shrinks a little as it cools, it held the bangle tight. Tip: use enough jett-set so you have a fairly large "flange" to grip onto, otherwise the jaws will interfere with your handpiece.

I have an idea to make an extra-large "inside ring jig" from 1/4 inch plywood and a thumb-screw, which will be much quicker to set up in the future.

Bracelet mount.JPG

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, that's cool. i was wondering how the thermoloc may have been used to do this. not sure if t-loc shrinks, as your plastic did. i never noticed shrinkage if such occured.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
That'll work fine for a one off piece. And it's quicker than making any kind of fixture.

Using a pipe section as a "frame" gives you the opportunity to grab pretty much anywhere, should you have to engrave the bangle all the way around - without reheating to get a flat section... just "roll it" to wherever you need to be.

B.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Misunderstanding?

It will be no different. The pipe frame is outside, the thermoplastic inside the frame and the bangle sits inside of both. Can't escape...

The rim of the pipe section, which is about 3/4" wide is what you grab instead of the thermoplastic.... and since it is uniformly 3/4" inch, you just roll it into whatever position as you go.

B.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Is Jet Set (ballistic?) about the same to use as thermo loc?

quite sometime ago i bought jet-sett in pellet form. i really disliked the stuff, as one had to heat it with hot water. i gave it to a forum friend. i find the t-loc very easy to use in fixturing. maybe the newer specie of jet-sett is easier, don't know about that.