engraved euro?

Rstripnieks

Hi!
I was just wondering : Till now i havent seen an Carved or engraved Euro coin or even coins from other European countries. Some Countries had some really beautiful coins before Euro,or maybe because there are legal issues about European coins?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think quite some time ago, such was posted on the forum. you could try the site search to see if it will come up. you might also try google. either in images, or direct search, surely some will come up.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Somewhere, I remember seeing an engraved Euro, but I can't remember where. It had to be either on this forum, or the Lindsay site. . .nowhere else do I go!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a Euro cent that was engraved by our esteemed leader, Sam Alfano. I received it from him after a class in Kansas. A prized possession that I had to get out of the safe so I could take a picture.... It probably isn't the Euro you were looking for, but a Euro just the same. :) AMBA0005.jpg

Rstripnieks

Tira-amazing work from Sam ,that proves again that no matter how tight it looks, you can fit scroll anywhere.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Rstripnieks,

I believe that where you live might be relevant - in that some countries forbid "defacing" government issued coins and bills...

I suppose that if one engraves (defaces) a coin from a realm that expressly forbids it, in another one that doesn't care one way or another - one might not be sentenced to the gulag for the rest of your life?

Brian

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't know about Euro's but while in Ukraine we were not allowed to exit the country with any form of currency, and yes, we were checked!

Rstripnieks

I Have talked with Shaun (he was the one who got me into engraving) and even he could only answer about britain,
But it should be ok if im Carving Nickels from United States in Austria?!
This is still the question with different opinions,many have said Yes and i have heard a lot of NO`s

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nickels are fine.

The cops aren't likely to come banging on your door for this kind of infraction - no matter what the coin.

Unless they are really bored?

And I don't think Ebay has the time or knowledge to figure out which carved coins should be banned for sale?

Brian

Rstripnieks

Brian Marshall, I also think ,that there will be no problems with local authorities,but living in place where everybody watches everybody (even neighbours) and gets jealous if you make extra money ,is the reason im interested in all legal questions. (Based on experience)
It would be cool to find old tread to find about this stuff ,but even though i have seen similar questions,none of them gets answered or answer is valid for People who are in US

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably the reason why there is no thread on the subject or information readily available online - is simply because it's not ever been very important.

There are tons of "laws" on the books in every country that are never enforced. I suspect that this is one of them.

In 40+ years being around this kind of work, I have never heard of a single instance of anyone being harassed - much less arrested, prosecuted, fined, jailed or executed for engraving or carving on coins?

You can bet that there would be some mention of it happening somewhere in the world - if it did - somewhere on the Internet.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it much.

If it should happen - you can be the first one ever to make a youtube video about being cited for "illegally" defacing a coin! ;)

Perhaps for disrespecting a monarch of some realm where it is forbidden to carve a mustache on the reigning king or queen?

Well, maybe not the king...?

Brian

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can engrave USA nickels, or any US Coin as long as you do not try to change the base value of the coin. In other words counterfeit money . A coin with art work is not counterfeit. MTC. YMMY

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As stupid as some laws may be... do you seriously think that any government has time to chase down a coin carver over a nickel that went back into circulation? (even if it's signed and has your address on it?)

It's still a nickel, though someone may have wasted a few hours putting a crooked mustache on the Indian...

The prisons are already overflowing - ain't no room in 'em for this kind of infraction. Or is there?

B.

bswezey

That might actually be a fun thing to try. Like a message in a bottle. Send it out in the world and see if anyone ever contacts you about it. Interesting to see where it would show up.

Latest posts

Sponsors