fat liners

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm working on a buckle. i foresee a need for a narrower liner. i;m using a # 14/12. it mikes out at .o84" or 2.13mm. where could i get one about half that width? will need it by mid to late october.

monk

Staff member
thanks so much to all yuse guys. i couldn't figure what would give a line-for-line match. tyvm

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
monk: If you know the exact liner you need let me know and I'll check to see if I have one. Seems like there's a million variations of number of lines, spacing, etc.

monk

Staff member
monk: If you know the exact liner you need let me know and I'll check to see if I have one. Seems like there's a million variations of number of lines, spacing, etc.

thanks a bunch, sam. a forum member has already made me an offer of one. i got a batch sometime ago on the bay. i spent some time today sharpening them and configuring them to suit me. i never knew there were so many different ones.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Liner use has become uncommon to the point of unusual these days.

There was a time when liners were "in vogue" and used prolifically. Print engravers had large areas to shade and hand cut lettering was far more ornate than what gets spit out of computers these days.

Not much in the way of using them (or even sharpening them) is taught anymore, other than as used in Western brightcut style - for shading leaves....

I still use them daily in all kinds of metals and try to design with their use in mind.

I think that mine run from 6/2 to maybe 32/12? Around 60 of 'em total. Of those, probably 10 or 12 see a lot of use...

B.

monk

Staff member
brian: i have had a few on hand since i began buying store-bought gravers. i just didn't like them.the buckle i'm doing now, requires them. it's the chevy bow tie logo. the gent that ordered was quite specific as to what he wanted for a background. he owns a dealership, so i guess it's legal to do the logo for him. he said he wanted a "florentine" finish inside the bow, and a plain background. the only way i knew to get the finish was to do it with liners. i know there are wheels that will do this, but my hand aint steady enough to try them.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
Multiple engraved lines, closely spaced and essentially parallel to one another was an application popularized by the famous Italian jewelry house of Buccellati, in Milan. This style or decorative application of engraving on jewelry was copied extensively by jewelers in and around Florence, to the point where it became known as "engraving in the Florentine style", which has since been shortened to Florentine engraving. Originally done with a single point graver, for expediency, jewelers began to engrave multiple grooves on steel blanks; hardened, tempered and sharpened into tools we know today as liners. There was so much of this style of engraving done that the various methods or looks had specific names in Italian. Oppi Untract, in his "Metal Techniques for Craftsmen" lists about a half dozen names. Don't have the book at hand to list them for you, but just reading about the various styles years ago got me intrigued enough to try out various combinations of intersecting patterns and angles. Certainly takes some skill to handle liners well. One of the reasons artists like Brian have so many liners is repair work. Trying to match an existing pattern can be a challenge, so having as many combinations of lines and spacing as you can find is your only defense.

Best regards,
Doug

monk

Staff member
dhall: thanks for that info. after doing this buckle, i plan to experiment with such. a slip had happened in their use on a practice plate. the slip produced a rather neat looking effect. so will follow up on that later on.

monk

Staff member
thanks to all for the info. tallgary saved the day. he sent me a narrow one with a similar line cut. tyvm, gary

Latest posts

Sponsors