Inside bangle engraving?

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Anybody have a cool method for holding a bangle for inside lettering? Is there something like an extra-large ring fixture out there? Thanks!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
far easier to engrave it in the flat, then go ahead and form it. tape the engraving to protect it from dings & scratches. grs makes a super handy metal former for that.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Monk, a bangle is a closed circle. If you engrave it flat it has to be rolled up and soldered back together. (Firescale can be a PITA for someone who is not a smith)

If it comes into a store workshop on a ladies wrist, you have to cut it and flatten it if you want to do it the "easy way".

Then roll it back up & solder. Kinda hard to do if it's made of hollow material....

If you have access to a lathe you can turn a fixture outta PVC or Delrin in a few minutes.

If you don't, I made a holder of sorts out of a 3" to 3.5" piece of steel pipe with 1/4" thick walls. Split the pipe into 2 sections.

That was before Thermoloc, so we used one of the thermoplastics to line it with. I think it was called Aquaplast? Formed in hot water.

You can use a hose clamp (kinda hard to find in that size) to hold the thing together...

You are grabbing the 1/4" thick steel, not the bracelet - which is held in place by thermoplastic.

Brian

If the bracelet is a heavy enough gauge to take the pressure of the vise, I've just clamped it between thin wood blocks or sole leather when I was in a hurry. Judgement call.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
brian:tyvm for the correction. i make the open type for a woman that operates an outlet for jewelry made by hand. she called them bangles, so that's where i picked up the term. btw-- thanks for the info on making one. there may be others wanting to try such.

mgdesigns

Be very cautious doing hollow bangle bracelets - they are usually very thin, and can be pierced easily. Don't ask how I know. Perhaps filling with water and freezing them will make them more rigid, and less prone to puncturing.??

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glue inside slightly oversize chunk of pvc?
Clamp by the pvc..
Or drill hole the size of pv pipe through some Teflon, or nylon, sit that in middle. Cut a socket so it can form two strips. This will serve as keepers for strip of nylon your bit of pipe is running through.
The nylon strip (1/4"- 1" depending on what size bangles you have) is clamped in your vice.... The pvc is snugged up against the top of the vice just to the degree that it has enough drag to hold, but that you can muscle it to turn without loosening the vice.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Be very cautious doing hollow bangle bracelets - they are usually very thin, and can be pierced easily. Don't ask how I know. Perhaps filling with water and freezing them will make them more rigid, and less prone to puncturing.??

Water expands when it freezes... it would more than likely distort and/or burst.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i recently did a few sterling hip flasks. filled them with fine playground type sand, then brim full with water. was a bit of a pain cleaning them back out, but they engraved like a solid bar of sterling.

Latest posts

Sponsors