Question: 120 degree graver dyslexia,

James

Hi everyone. My go to square graver is a 120 carbide, c-max or carbalt. A long time between sharpening or making a new oneI( I engrave soft precious metals) every time I need to make a new one I have to revisit my tech notes.. and rethink the angles. My Lindsay notes specify main shaping grind of 25.2, 25.2 at 2 degrees loft,, parellel heel angle of 30,30 at 15 degees loft. My grs table shows main shaping grind at 30,30 degrees w/ 2.5 lift,. parellel heel 35 degree at 15 degree lift. The last "120 I made a couple of weeks ago I used 30,30, at 2.5 lift for main, 25.2 at 15 for heel and it seemed good. Would appreciate hearing the angles other engravers use on the powerhone for their 120's. Thanks, James

ps just got back from emporia, now they have all leica microscopes. Am I the only one having trouble using them?:confused:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I now make all my 120s with the GRS EasyGraver fixture. Perfection every time.

What kind of trouble are you having with the Leica?

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
ps just got back from emporia, now they have all leica microscopes. Am I the only one having trouble using them?:confused:
I had a problem when I first got mine a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was the difference between using a 0.5 objective with my Meiji and the 0.63 objective with the Leica. I switched from a low profile vise to the GRS standard vise and no problem - works great.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had a problem when I first got mine a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was the difference between using a 0.5 objective with my Meiji and the 0.63 objective with the Leica. I switched from a low profile vise to the GRS standard vise and no problem - works great.

Please describe the problem you were having. I'm really curious.