Demonstration piece from the knife show

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
fega_pendant.jpg

A nickel silver pendant I engraved at the International Custom Cutlery Expo last weekend.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful design and execution as always.

Here is a great study of ornamental design guys, though it may appear simple it shows real mastery. Thanks for showing it.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
That's a very nice transition from the heavily detailed and shaded scrolls we are used to seeing. I appreciate the way you have defined the way the veins are cut with less lines, but with a bit more emphasis in strategically shaded locations...like where the veins stop and how they are redirected with heavier cuts at the leaf terminals and folds.

I'm transitioning to a less scroll as well - there is a breaking point where you finally decide that too much detail makes the work difficult to visually define. I am not abandoning a fully veined leaf in all instances, but for most gun work I think less is often more desirable.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a very nice transition from the heavily detailed and shaded scrolls we are used to seeing. I appreciate the way you have defined the way the veins are cut with less lines, but with a bit more emphasis in strategically shaded locations...like where the veins stop and how they are redirected with heavier cuts at the leaf terminals and folds.

I'm transitioning to a less scroll as well - there is a breaking point where you finally decide that too much detail makes the work difficult to visually define. I am not abandoning a fully veined leaf in all instances, but for most gun work I think less is often more desirable.

Thanks Mike! Nobody loves good scrollwork more than I do, but I also love the leafy styles as well, and to me they're far more challenging to draw. And thank you for noticing the shading nuances. You have a keen eye and can put your thoughts into words far better than most people.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a real show on the shading. i like the absolute definition the shading produces. cool stuff, sam

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had been experimenting with cutting shading in the opposite direction we are accustomed to, in order to terminate the line with a heavier exit at the tops of leaves in order to shade those areas more heavily. Seeing it done well here reaffirms for me that it can be a useful tool to have in the bag and your example is a good one!
It's also a good example for those learning to shade and still learning to create dimension.
Layne

Last edited:

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam! This is just another fine example that I can use as a study piece. Lots going on here to learn from.

Dan Weddle