Python Injection !!

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
There is no doubt that if you are a Colt engraver that you must surely have a Python on your bench. At this time I have four in my backlog.

This one was designed and engraved for a Physician, to be specific, an Anesthesiologist! He wanted the Caduceus on one side and a inlaid version of a brass syringe that his father had turned for him at graduation on the barrel (one of three barrels for this gun).

I told him that it might be ready for the Colt Collectors Association Show this coming weekend. It is, but it's not blued, so I'll have it with me at Louisville along with a few other pieces. Doc Lott will get to see his gun in-the-white.

The Colt Collectors Association Show

If you are in the area, the Colt Show will be held at the Galt House in downtown Louisville starting Friday, September 30 running through Sunday, October 2. I'll be there and so will a group of our associates at the FEGA booth.

Note: Bob Strosin engraved the CCA "Show Gun" that's on the cover of the Rampant Colt Magazine this month - Bob's "Hatfields and McCoys Colt" will go to auction Saturday evening.

Mike Dubber

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, it really does need to be blued - the gold inlay work will stand out prominently, and the scroll work will be subdued. It a funny thing, engravers work in-the-white and have to rely on experience to know what the piece might look like when it is returned from bluing. I'm often shocked at the results, not so much that it was the wrong thing to do, but on a good number of pieces (not this one) I've spent up to 300 hours or more working in-the-white, and when it comes back from the bluer it looks like a totally different gun.

You just get used to it...............

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for sharing, what ever happened to the bulino work you were going to have nickle plated, any pictures or updates? How did the nickle affect the bulino work?

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
The "Stagecoach" Colt that I posted in an earlier Thread was returned from Nickle Plating last week. I did the ink and bake and will have the gun on display at the Louisville CCA Show. The nickle had no effect whatever on the bulino. I'll have the gun professionally photographed in Louisville by the Colt Photographer and will post those here later.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I'll see you in Louisville on Saturday, Mike.
Looking forward to seeing you there Roger.

FYI: our success with "The Greatest Generation 1911" at the NRA Show will also be celebrated at CCA. There will be a special display set up to show the two guns and the NRA Awards.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, it really does need to be blued - the gold inlay work will stand out prominently, and the scroll work will be subdued. It a funny thing, engravers work in-the-white and have to rely on experience to know what the piece might look like when it is returned from bluing. I'm often shocked at the results, not so much that it was the wrong thing to do, but on a good number of pieces (not this one) I've spent up to 300 hours or more working in-the-white, and when it comes back from the bluer it looks like a totally different gun.

You just get used to it...............

Lol! I understand what you are saying Mike. I tried to say that your work is beautiful and really don't need anything else to make it any better.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work Mr Dubber
Your work looks amazing in the photos, and I can imagine it looks even better up close.
Hmmm... I wish I could make it to the show, that would be a great experience to get to meet you and Roger and see all the fine work being displayed

Omar

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam.

Note also that the ivory grips (DOC Lott) are cut with a really sharp, highly polished 118 degree graver. Its really not "scrimshaw" in the true sense, but graver-cut lines. After cutting the borders, the letters were then stippled and back-filled with ink.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam:

Not also that the letters on the ivory grips were cut with a graver - a really sharp and highly polished 118 degree carbide graver. It's not technically "Scrimshaw," but cut lines that were stippled between the cuts and then inked.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like that you weren't afraid to mix the delicate single line scrollwork on the front with bold shaded scrolls elsewhere. Nicely done!
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors