My Second Hobo Nickel

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
The first one was unmentionable. Thanks to everyone who's been helping me, or has posted very generous tutorials. I still have a long way to go but am starting to get the hang of it!
image.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
The first one was unmentionable. Thanks to everyone who's been helping me, or has posted very generous tutorials. I still have a long way to go but am starting to get the hang of it!
View attachment 39309

That is a great first ( actually second) effort.
You might make a small scraper, a small flat graver and a little polishing stick to work on a smoother background and a few detail areas.
By the same token you may decide to leave this one as is as a remembrance of your early efforts and use these tools on your next one.
Looking forward to seeing your next sculpture.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John. I did make 1/16 90 sq, and a very small flat as well as per your guidance. They were very helpful.
I am thinking of a small burnished as well. What do you suggest for a tiny polishing stick. Everything looks huge under the scope.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I found a set of .5x.5 micro super stones to try.

The stones sound good Jonathans.
Round and flat tooth picks and also small orange sticks can be cross cut off at various angles.
The ends can be touched to transfer wax or Chap Stick and then dipped into various abrasive powders
Or used just as cut off and dipped into valve grinding compounds.
Also the old fashioned pencil shaped typist's erasers (if you can still find them) make excellent small abrasive tools to be followed by a miniature burnisher.
Small bent or hook shape burnishers and scrapers can be made from modified small Allen wrenches. They are usually excellent tool steel.
Cut, shape and buff. Then heat red hot and oil dip for a glass hard finish. Repolish and put into a small handle or pin vise.

Last edited:

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good! You are on the right track. Can't wait to see what they look like a year or so from now. Do you use air assist, hand push, or hammer and chisel?

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good! You are on the right track. Can't wait to see what they look like a year or so from now. Do you use air assist, hand push, or hammer and chisel?

Hi,
I'm using a Gravermach AT with an AT 901 hand piece. I also found (after my first disaster) that a lot of background flattening final work, and other details are best done (for me, for now) by pushing.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a good first (or second) effort, but the placement of the ear is driving me crazy! I fully understand that these hobos are characterizations, however the general placement of facial features still should follow human anatomy to a great extent. They may be exaggerated but still be close to "natural". The ear is place far too forward and not in proper vertical alignment. I've included an old link to suggestions for more pleasing anatomical sculpting or drawing. Please note, I'm not trying to be over-critical, I just want to help you on your journey.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?9354-Facial-Proportions-by-Doc-Mark

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Hi ,
No offence taken at all on your critique Mark. The placement kind of drove me nuts too after I outlined it. Just didn't seem right. I guess I was over focused on just figuring out how an ear actually looked.
I'll check out your link and hopefully the next one will be better.
I just took a look. Time to get my dividers out!

Last edited:

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I got out my exacto and sharpie, and made some adjustments to this nickel as per the guidelines suggested by Doc Mark. The new ear placement is further back, behind the half head line, centered in the one third face section, and angled more correctly. I concede that it looks much better! Thanks Mark!
nick ear.jpg

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You see how much better this looks! Now that I've got your attention, I'm going to nit-pick. The top of the ear is on the level of the eyebrow, not the eye itself. So, part of the ear would be hidden under the hat or sticking out from under the rim of the hat, with the ear slightly folded over, for a more comic effect. You are well on your way to Hobo internet sales. Keep it up!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
For me the hardest thing to draw is the most familiar thing that I have seen everday of my life. The human body/face !
So don't feel bad .