The New Scrollbook is Here; the New Scrollbook is Here! -Marcus's English Fine Scroll

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I returned home from travels today to find a copy of Marcus's English Fine Scroll book, DVD, and casting waiting in my mail.
Fantastic! I've not loaded the DVD yet but have skimmed the book. It looks excellent and contains more than I was anticipating; I didn't realize rose/bouquet are also covered. They are clearly well produced.
I can certainly see why everyone prizes theirs. Mine will take pride of place in my library. A big thank you to Marcus for producing a rerun of these. I can tell they will be extremely useful..... now to clean up some more practice plates....
Thank you again.
Jeremy

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I'm watching the video as we speak and its fantastic. Like the book, the video set is clear, no fluff and easy to follow. One thing that really appeals to me is the "Wabi-Sabi" of English scroll, that it doesn't have to be absolute 100% perfect...Not that it rewards sloppiness or even worse, laziness but that there is beauty in the imperfection. Worth every penny and then some. I expect there will be a rash of "English scroll critique requests" in the near future!

Last edited:

Darrell

man You guys are costing me nothing but M O N E Y..............on it's way, thanks...................I think.:)

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
You will not be sorry. I have not regretted a single nickel spent on any of the instructional videos I have bought. I have my eye on a few videos on the FEGA site too!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing that really appeals to me is the "Wabi-Sabi" of English scroll, that it doesn't have to be absolute 100% perfect...Not that it rewards sloppiness or even worse, laziness but that there is beauty in the imperfection.

You summed it up precisely! Sloppy workmanship will yield poor results, there is no getting away from that fact. But if you look at some of the hand pushed guns of the past where the actions were literally held in a peg braced against the work bench every scroll was not perfect but the overall impression is still beautiful. Sometimes, if things are too perfect they can look sterile and boring instead of organic and interesting.

Glad you like the book and DVDs.:graver:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
You summed it up precisely! Sloppy workmanship will yield poor results, there is no getting away from that fact. But if you look at some of the hand pushed guns of the past where the actions were literally held in a peg braced against the work bench every scroll was not perfect but the overall impression is still beautiful. Sometimes, if things are too perfect they can look sterile and boring instead of organic and interesting.

Glad you like the book and DVDs.:graver:

it is quite nice to see a response like yours. there's much to be derived from reading this statement a few times. to me, a gun totally crammed with perfection is less desirabe than one that just looks "pleasant" to the eye. ldn was far from perfect, but as you said, look at the big picture.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let me preface this by saying I'm not much of a video learner. I have the VHS series by Frank Hendricks, Lynton McKenzie, and Jack Brooks' CD. They are all like watching soap melt and I was unable to view any of them to completion before dozing off.

I was happy to see that Marcus was offering a 2nd run, as I missed out on the first one. I received my packet today and already watched the first DVD. It's great.....well laid out in logical order without any fluff, rambling, or extraneous BS. I will watch it several more times and am enthused to start some practice plates as time allows.

I have one Alex Henry long range target rifle in the white and another about 1/2 finished. Both will be engraved with fine English scroll when I have mastered the technique and it will be satisfying to finally complete one from start to finish. Two of my previous builds were sent to Tim Halloran because I lacked the skill and knowledge. I believe I am now on the right path.

This is one that Tim did.

And this is an original Rigby in the same style.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
If the Lynton McKenzie videos aren't doing anything for you I'd be interested in taking them off your hands!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Marcus' English fine scroll is simply the best I've ever seen. Nothing can compare to its accuracy and precision of cutting, not to mention its artistic layout. The sample plates that come with this book show good English scroll from previous masters, but IMHO it's not even close to what Marcus cuts. I'm really happy to see this great video being available once again. The engraving world needs this!

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I'm sure glad I got my copy. I've had at least three friends (none of whom engrave or really have anything more than a passing interest in it) who have asked about borrowing my DVD (not just no, but HECK no!!!!) and one is considering buying their own copy. I told her she better act quick...

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
(none of whom engrave or really have anything more than a passing interest in it)
one is considering buying their own copy. I told her she better act quick
Why would you even encourage someone who has no interest in engraving purchasing a copy? Since the supply is very limited it would be wasted on them, when there are serious engravers who would miss out because of it. The first go round was snatched up so quick, I missed out. I'm sure this edition will be the same. Sometimes enthusiasm should be tempered with a bit of common sense.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I never "encouraged" anyone to buy anything. She saw it, liked it and may (or may not) buy a copy. I'm Sure the price may trigger her "common sense" not to do it if she's not actually planning on becoming an engraver but that's not my business.

That said, I would certainly never want to DIScourage anyone with any level of interest in engraving from pursuing it. I was (and am) a leatherworker who got into engraving because of Jeremiah Watt's excellent silverwork videos... If my friend decides to take up engraving because of Marcus' video I would be thrilled to know I had any part in facilitating that decision.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors