Difficult placement of scrolls. Please help!

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Much better :)

You have one problem area on the back part.........the big gap at the top of the scroll where there are two scrolls coming off from it. (The gap between the border and the top of the scroll.

That could be remedied by bringing that scroll all the way up to the border line.

I am curious about one thing........why have the spider upside down?

Cheers
Andrew

Hi, Andrew!
Thanks for the tip on the gap with the scrolls. I am still drawing different scroll configurations every chance I get. I need to do the best possible work I can as this will be the centrepiece for my table at the Brooklyn Knife Show 2-3 December. I know my drawing skills are rusty because I have very little free time to practise drawing my scrolls.
The spider is upside down because in nature these spiders spin their webs vertically or diagonally. They hang vertically or upside down from their webs because these spiders are big and heavy. Some growing as big as your hand with outstretched fingers! Go have a look here to see the size of these Arachnids http://www.pbase.com/aatbender/image/139573877

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
bksspider6.jpg
I think I may have finally reached my final design with the guidance of the forum members. I will probably still change a few leaf elements when redrawing in Corel Draw. This is not just an engraving job. It is becoming more like a journey for me. Hopefully I don't mess up with the cutting on this one. This is only one half of the story. I still need to design the other side of the knife handle!

Andrew Biggs

You still have a few issues with about 3 areas.................. Rather than explain it I have attached a couple of things for you to think about. Like everything, there are a lot of ways this can be done.

That is a very cool and colourful spider. It certainly has that don't mess with me look about it :)

How are you going to cut the actual web? Are you going to make the web out of single cuts or are you going to have each strand have some thickness to it?

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• jan-2.jpg
    jan-2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 113
  • jan-3.jpg
    jan-3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 115

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
You still have a few issues with about 3 areas.................. Rather than explain it I have attached a couple of things for you to think about. Like everything, there are a lot of ways this can be done.

That is a very cool and colourful spider. It certainly has that don't mess with me look about it :)

How are you going to cut the actual web? Are you going to make the web out of single cuts or are you going to have each strand have some thickness to it?

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew!
At one stage in one of my backbone drawing I actually had the three scrolls at the back exactly as you drew it. I changed it because it looked too much like three little ducks standing in a row. Maybe I was wrong.
Wit regards to the web I was thinking of very fine lines cut to make the web. There is another surprize. This will be cut in grade 2 Titanium. I plan to anodise the background behind the web and the spider graduations between green, green yellow and brownish yellow. There will be gold inlay in the spider legs and silver inlay on the spots of the spider body.

Andrew Biggs

I changed it because it looked too much like three little ducks standing in a row

My drawing is very rough and only to give you an idea. You may end up with four scrolls or have to intertwine the scrolls a bit to make them fit properley.

I've engraved grade 2 titanium and it was a real pleasure to cut and the anodising sounds great.

Cheers
Andrew

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
bksspider7.jpg
I drew two designs.
The top design is as Andrew Biggs suggested regarding the placement of the scroll backbones.
The bottom design is one I worked out by myself.
Which do you prefer and why?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bottom looks less cluttered, doesn't detract from the spider which I would assume is a main focus

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jan

The bottom one looks great........but you still have a problem with the area where the large scroll comes off the main (first) scroll. You have filled it with a large leaf that doesn't look right. You could easily put a smaller scroll in there to fill that gap. (like it is on the top design)

The spider web......are you going to have that going through the scroll exactley like you have drawn it? Or will that be modified when you cut and only join with the backbone/leaves of the scrolls?......at the moment it looks very messy in those areas.

Cheers
Andrew

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jan

The bottom one looks great........but you still have a problem with the area where the large scroll comes off the main (first) scroll. You have filled it with a large leaf that doesn't look right. You could easily put a smaller scroll in there to fill that gap. (like it is on the top design)

The spider web......are you going to have that going through the scroll exactley like you have drawn it? Or will that be modified when you cut and only join with the backbone/leaves of the scrolls?......at the moment it looks very messy in those areas.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi, Andrew.
When I redraw the design in Corel Draw i will join the spider web to the backbone of the scrolls. I was not concerned to clean that up at this stage of the design. My main focus was to get the scroll design right at this stage.
What I learned from this exercise was mainly to focus on the flow of a design before getting caught up in filling spaces with scroll backbones.
I will redraw one last time as you suggest. Then I am going to cut this sucker!

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jan

Much better and looking good!!! :)

Now have a look at your first post again and see the difference.

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you Andrew for taking the time to share your expertise with me. I am grateful for the help!
Also to all the other members that shared their time and knowledge, thank you!
I will post the engraved piece here as well to complete the thread.

Latest posts

Sponsors