1911 Slide Fixture

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Just had this slide fixture made (patent pending) for engraving 1911 slides. Works really well as the slide can be rotated by hand once set in the fixture. I'll have them available mid October or early November for anyone interested. I don't have a price yet and the fixture is adjustable to any length of slide. I'm also working on adapters for the slides of other auto-loading pistols. Thanks for looking!

image.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Just had this slide fixture made (patent pending) for engraving 1911 slides. Works really well as the slide can be rotated by hand once set in the fixture. I'll have them available mid October or early November for anyone interested. I don't have a price yet and the fixture is adjustable to any length of slide. I'm also working on adapters for the slides of other auto-loading pistols. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 39281

Richard, Please see your private message re. the slide fixture.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's very nice, Richard! were you serious about the "patent pending"? i'd be curious to know what you're claiming as novel art, because adjustable fixtures for engraving between centers on various objects have been around pretty much forever. at last count, i've got five in my shop for different specific applications...

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
that's very nice, Richard! were you serious about the "patent pending"? i'd be curious to know what you're claiming as novel art, because adjustable fixtures for engraving between centers on various objects have been around pretty much forever. at last count, i've got five in my shop for different specific applications...

I was thinking the same thing. It is a pretty standard jig most of us make at home. I have several sizes for anything from rings to rifle barrels.........or the slide on a 1905. I would think that applying for and paying for a patent would yield a poor return on investment.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
rifle jig 1.jpg DSCF0092.jpg
This is a between centers jig that I make up using inexpensive bar clamps. I alter one end to hold a centering cone with aquaplast(thermoloc) and the other end I have a rod the attaches to the other end of the object. Here I am using it to hold a winchester action. I use this especially when engraving the bottom which needs to be rotated while I swivel the vice

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Go to amazon and chick out Pana Vice 350 multi purpose work center 2.2 lbs. $89.99.:thumbsup: J.J.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member

However, a design patent on a set of holding "ends" that could be used in conjunction with the PanaVise that I showed, or on a regular bar clamp would probably meet the requirement of novel art.

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not a big fan of those Chinese made vises, I have on I used for fun work before I threw it out for being junk. A patent doesn't cost all that much....even if it's kept "pending" indefinitely. Just protects production and intellectual property. I want a fixture that will hold the piece I'm engraving secure and that's easy to use. Those panna vises have a lot of slope in the threads and the components. JMO

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
A patent doesn't cost all that much....even if it's kept "pending" indefinitely. Just protects production and intellectual property. I want a fixture that will hold the piece I'm engraving secure and that's easy to use. Those panna vises have a lot of slope in the threads and the components. JMO

Slop in the PanaVise not withstanding, In a previous career, I worked a government contract on assignment to the Office of Naval Research, specializing in technology transfer for the office of innovation, so I'm pretty familiar with the patent process... A patent cannot be held in the "pending" status indefinitely. If you filed a provisional patent, you have one year to convert that to an actual application, and from there the time it will will be pending on a hardware item is from one to three years. Typically they will be granted in around 18 months or so, if they grant it at all.

Also, your patent claim cannot be... " I made it wth less slop than the Chinese version", there has to be a novel discovery presented that makes it have less slop, and simply being manufactured with tighter tolerances won't be considered novel.

IF you have filed a provisional patent application, then sure, you can state "patent pending", but if you have not filed one yet, your patent is not pending... The intent to file doesn't qualify for the "pending" status at all.

What are the features of your design that you feel are patentable?

In either case, I wish you every success with the endeavor.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
while we're on the subject of centering fixtures, here's one i built recently to hold a fairly large silver cup. the cup was too big in any dimension to fit down between the vise jaws and any of the usual types of fixtures that are clamped in the jaws (such as those shown in this thread) would have positioned the cup really too high up to be practical for my set-up.

so as you can see, i removed the jaws and built a T-slot rail to fit in hard maple. the holes in the base have 5/16-18 threaded inserts and set screws to lock it in place. works like a dream...

Attachments

• CtrgFix.jpg
    CtrgFix.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 213

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I built a very similar vice which used a rubber ball inside the cups. Did a bunch of brandy style silver cups for a wedding party. worked great the rubber ball I used was a good fit and really held the cups. Wonder where I put that darned thing.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I built a very similar vice which used a rubber ball inside the cups. Did a bunch of brandy style silver cups for a wedding party. worked great the rubber ball I used was a good fit and really held the cups. Wonder where I put that darned thing.

a complete separate vise, or centering fixture that used the ball vise's T-slot instead of the jaws? in my case, the silversmith who made the cup turned a male insert that fit perfectly inside and i made a simple block for the bottom.

Latest posts

Sponsors