1/16 round gravers in square brass tube,

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk was kind enough to mention these little gravers in his effort to help Jonathan with his depth control.
Just to clarify. All the info. on making these gravers is in the Tips Archive.
Please note that the brass tube needs to be full of metal, soldered or JB Welded in.
If you use a 1/16 inch cobalt jobbers length drill you can put the flute section inside the brass and solder or JB weld.
I you use a 1/16 dental bur fill the tube behind it with a piece if 1/16 inch brass or steel rod, soldered or JB'd to avoid having the tubing collapse from down pressure on the graver.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I'm having trouble finding the square brass tubing.

Todd

Todd, Sources for the brass tubing were mentioned in the original posting which is now in the Tips Archive.
As quite a bit of time has passed there may be some changes.
Last I ordered was from Micro Mark and also Hobby Lobby.
The manufacturer is K&S Engineering, Chicago, IL, Stock #1503.
I'm sure a search for them and a phone call will give you the name of a supplier in your area.
Best of luck with your search and you might post your results for others looking for the tubing.

John B.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
With the advent of .125 round QC holders, and the problem they solve by not having to ever re-index the graver for sharpening, I ordered some .125 round brass tubing that has an id of .061. 1/16 carbide or cobalt rod should fit in quite nice perhaps after a touch of emery cloth. The walls of this tubing are thicker than the 3/32" square tubing. Thanks for the tip John, and I look forward to making a few of these mini gravers.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
John,My hardware store has a two displays of K&S Engineering metal materials brass tubing and carbide drills,thanks for sharing these mini graver's.I remember you giving all the engraver's at the Blade show a blank graver to take home and giving them a try,I use them for fine detail engraving.:thumbsup: J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John,My hardware store has a two displays of K&S Engineering metal materials brass tubing and carbide drills,thanks for sharing these mini graver's.I remember you giving all the engraver's at the Blade show a blank graver to take home and giving them a try,I use them for fine detail engraving.:thumbsup: J.J.

Thanks JJ, I alwaysenjoy reading your posts.
Stay well my friend,
John.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
With the advent of .125 round QC holders, and the problem they solve by not having to ever re-index the graver for sharpening, I ordered some .125 round brass tubing that has an id of .061. 1/16 carbide or cobalt rod should fit in quite nice perhaps after a touch of emery cloth. The walls of this tubing are thicker than the 3/32" square tubing. Thanks for the tip John, and I look forward to making a few of these mini gravers.

Thank you Jonathans.
That should work OK for the folks that have the Quick Change sharpener holder.
People using other sharpening holders or methods may still like to use the square tube for indexing.
Best, John.

monk

Staff member
Monk was kind enough to mention these little gravers in his effort to help Jonathan with his depth control.
Just to clarify. All the info. on making these gravers is in the Tips Archive.
Please note that the brass tube needs to be full of metal, soldered or JB Welded in.
If you use a 1/16 inch cobalt jobbers length drill you can put the flute section inside the brass and solder or JB weld.
I you use a 1/16 dental bur fill the tube behind it with a piece if 1/16 inch brass or steel rod, soldered or JB'd to avoid having the tubing collapse from down pressure on the graver.

forget superglue. quick, but after awhile, at least on brass, will fail when least expected. i never tried the jb stuff.

monk

Staff member

you migt want to insert steel or copper rod, .062 in the rear of the tube. this will prevent the tube deforming when tightening the screw.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Guys,
I have made many of these but with SS round Tube.
I buy 1/16" carbide rod (micrograin is the best). (2-3") (ebay best price)
go to hardware store that stocks K&S Stainless steel tube (3/32 with a 1/16" hole in it.)
I also use Locktite Bearing setting glue (Red for locking bearing races).
Clean tube and carbide Locktite them together and place them standing up in clay for 24-48 hours.
A light crimp on the tube (graver end).doesn't hert.
Put the carbide in full length of the tube.
when dry grind a flat on the tube and use the flat as 0 degrees (or 180) for your grinding.
these make Super detail gravers..
Your results may vary..
PS: I final polish with Black arkansas extra fine stone with mineral oil (2-4 strokes) (stone is about 10,000 grit).
AirAmp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors