My diy pneumatic set up

hadleyspapa

I'm new to the forum and engraving. Thought I'd share my progress on my pneumatic set up inspired by Shaun Hughes. It's not finished but the concept works. And I'm going to add a foot pedal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 447
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 447

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have wondered how long it would take to see one of these show up. what sort of engraving are you interested in learning? whatever the area, all you need to learn is available on the forum. many, many things to learn. get a looseleaf and take notes as you read thru the information here. your pursuit will be much easier if you have good drawing skills. there's never been an easier "time" to learn this art, than now.

'

Steve L S

This reminds me of the “junkyard hammer” phenomenon in the hobby blacksmith community- the sheer cost of a professional air hammer is out of the question for the weekend warrior so ingenious people have made their own from found/scrap objects and shared their working drawings. Their contraptions allow them to tackle much bigger projects, give a new lease of life to aging artisans or those with injuries.

If you perfect it we will have to let Tim McCreight know, I would love to see what the impoverished communities he works with come up with if they had your machine and a sheet of brass http://www.toolboxinitiative.org/stories/

hadleyspapa

I was going to use a steel ball, but I already had some stock turned down that fit the inner diameter of the pipe better. Again I didn't originate the idea but it was straight foreword and easy to make. I'm fortunate to have a lathe so I can make a lot of the things I need. Monk- I am mostly interested in gun engraving as I'm currently working on my advanced gun smithing certificate. I also really like hobo nickels. I have a copy of The Art of Engraving and I love the deep relief engraving found on high end firearms.

Darrell

VROOOOOM, TAP TAP tap,vrooooom tap tap, there a will there's a way, been looking on the Utube, myself, there are some really cool Rube Goldberg stuff out there, as long as it does the job................. gotta see the results.....

monk

Staff member
i'd like to see a foto of your handpiece and chuck assembly. i made one of these 3 months ago. it works, but i don't use it. i just made it for the h--- of it. i used an old gravermeister handpiece. i had to modify the spring a bit, i saw little need for the led readout, so didn't use one. foot pedal , 12volt dc power supply, 12 volt (piston type) compressor, and a digital speed controller was all i used. my foot pedal is 110 ac, and has an ac outlet. the power supply and other junk is controlled by the pedal. this way the compressor only runs when needed.

Victor.eide

shaun hughes has a bunch of great videos! I spent a few days researching all of these engraving machines. The ole push method is pretty cool, but theres a lot of slipping & very hard to engrave over raised metal such as on a penny.

monk

Staff member
I was going to use a steel ball, but I already had some stock turned down that fit the inner diameter of the pipe better. Again I didn't originate the idea but it was straight foreword and easy to make. I'm fortunate to have a lathe so I can make a lot of the things I need. Monk- I am mostly interested in gun engraving as I'm currently working on my advanced gun smithing certificate. I also really like hobo nickels. I have a copy of The Art of Engraving and I love the deep relief engraving found on high end firearms.
that book was a god send for many people, myself included. it was the first book (that i know of) that showed one the basics of gun engraving. it also enticed me to buy an extremely overpriced gravermeister. i think, at the time it was $425.00. looking at the years i've used it, dang, what a bargain! if grs ever makes a car, i'll be the first one in line to buy it.

Latest posts

Sponsors