The elusive graver

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I bought this graver on the bay a while back for a couple dollars. It is a no. 44 flat and it's made by the Arthur crafts company. It is carbide tipped, I have never seen one like it. I have looked all over the internet for some info on it or the company that made it but no luck. I'm really not good at working with computers so someone else might be able to find out more info in a couple seconds. Does anyone know anything about these, especially where I can buy them. I would love to have some more or even a set of them. If I can't find them I am thinking about making my own. I have some small carbide blanks that are meant to be brazed/cemented onto a large saw blade that would work great. A little bit of rectangle stock and I would be ready to go. If anyone has any info about these gravers or the company that makes them please let me know.

Attachments

• GEDC0007 (5).jpg
    GEDC0007 (5).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 184
  • GEDC0005 (8).jpg
    GEDC0005 (8).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 186
  • GEDC0002 (5).jpg
    GEDC0002 (5).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 186

Andrew Biggs

Cool.............I knew there had to be a reason.

A bit like tying your own flies..........very satisfying catching a trout with something you have made with your own hands :)

Cheers
Andrew

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like one of those deals where the company went out of business, or sold out to another who wished not to continue to make up such gravers. In the old machine shop days, we routinely made up such tools, on a larger scale. We used brass to braze as it had the best adhesion of the brazing materials. . .you don't need silver solder, as there's no advantage. Sometime, we'd bent our tools to nearly 90 degrees, without adhesion failure, and it's a safe bet you won't generate this much pressure. If you make up your own tooling, you'll be further ahead!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many moons ago I used to work for a router bit co. that made all sorts of carbide tipped tooling and had the idea of making my own carbide tipped gravers. Learning what grade of carbide to use was the real trick. After some experimenting, I made several flats and some other shaped gravers that I could run for months with out touching them if I didn't slip and chip the edge. Still have some of them today,almost 40 some years later!!!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
lookin at the artwork on the box is a dead giveaway. they're old. i feel you're lucky to have found one. i've never seen or heard of this company. around the time these were produced, i'd think there weren't many engravers that had a real need for these. wonder if suitable diamond material was available to effectively sharpen them.

Latest posts

Sponsors