Sweatbands: Not just for tennis anymore!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lately I've been working on a piece that isn't particularly long (a foot or so), but has a small projection that was snagging the handpiece tubing EVERY SINGLE FLIPPING TIME I TURNED THE VISE!!!!! :mad:

with a burin style handpiece (GraverMax 901, in this case), i run the tubing up and over my wrist, which is usually enough to keep it from hanging up on anything that's not very long. but this latest project was driving me insane (not a long journey to begin with, folks) and i started thinking of ways to hold the tubing farther out along my forearm. i even considered just using a band-aid, but rejected that as inconvenient to remove, re-apply, etc.

i finally went to the tennis dept of a local sporting goods store and bought a $4 terry cloth elastic sweatband for the head. (i needed something bigger than the wrist bands and figured a head band could always be made smaller with a safety pin.)

i just slip my hand, handpiece & tubing thru it, then slide it up just above my elbow. with my elbow bent to engrave, it stays in place perfectly, is very comfortable, and is just snug enough to to keep the tubing from sagging under my forearm. problem solved! :biggrin:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a great idea! My only concern would be (because I'm the most absent minded guy I know) getting up and dragging my Gravermach off the bench! Seriously though, that's a good idea. Abby's a tennis player and I'll see if she has one.

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using just a plain old rubber band. Great idea to use a sweatband though. And , Yes I have forgotten to turn it loose when I get up.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
so you're the guys on youtube who drive away with the gasoline nozzle still in your tank?

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
LoL... I love this Forum
puts a smile on my face every day
Thank you so much Sam, Tira and all the administrators of this Forum for all your hard work in keeping it going...✌️

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Mitch,
A piece of Velcro works very well. Just wrap it around your arm and the tube.
Easy on and easy off and no need the thread the handpiece and tubing through it etc.
Try not to forget it if you move from the bench, He he.
John B

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i just slip my hand, handpiece & tubing thru it, then slide it up just above my elbow. with my elbow bent to engrave, it stays in place perfectly, is very comfortable, and is just snug enough to to keep the tubing from sagging under my forearm. problem solved
Heck, you can do the same thing with a sphygmomanometer and monitor your blood pressure at the same time. It's just the healthy way to go for someone of your age.

sphygmomanometer = blood pressure cuff for you laymen.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mitch,
A piece of Velcro works very well. Just wrap it around your arm and the tube.
Easy on and easy off and no need the thread the handpiece and tubing through it etc.
Try not to forget it if you move from the bench, He he.
John B

i'd forgotten all about my failed velcro experiment a few years ago. now i remember running into this problem before and trying velcro. it was a hassle to position just right with one free hand (you must be more dextrous than me with that grabby cra@p), with no elasticity it was difficult to get it not-too-tight/loose, and no matter how perfectly i managed to get it put on, it ALWAYS ended up with some little hard, rough edge of the hook side chafing or scratching somewhere. i just said the heck with it and have muddled thru until this most recent project.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
A few years ago I injured my elbow and had to wear a brace to move the tendon it is like a sweatband with a velcro fastener still around here somewhere it might work. It is padded and fairly comfortable and easy to put on one handed.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i had a habit of leaving the hexkey in my vise. never a problem when pushing. not so with the tiny tubing on my handpiece when running the jackhammer. my fix was to add a few feet of hose. i then ran the tubing overhead, instead of near the floor. after a few snips off the handpiece tubing, it hangs down at just the right length. the additional tubing length had no noticeable effect on handpiece performance.

Latest posts

Sponsors