In need of relief.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone, I am going to ask a question that I probably know the answer to already but I want some input from experienced engravers. I suffered a back injury when I was younger, I am 40 yrs. old now. For the last year I have had problems with terrible sciatica pain. I find that when I sit for a couple hours at my engraving table I hurt so bad and get so sore that it literally takes me a minute or so to get up and stretch out. The chair I use is a crappy used one, if I remember correctly I think I got it from beside the street where someone was throwing it out. The question is, would a new, good quality chair help relieve my back pain? I have been looking at some new ones on ebay and such but I was wanting to know what type of chair that some of you use.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
A good chair is always a must. Seeing a good chiropractor would help a lot also. Injured my back at 19 in the Army and had severe pain until in my late 30's started seeing a chiropractor. I'm pain free now.
I use a stool with no back. Makes me keep my back straight. Has ability to go up /down quickly also. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
find a good yoga class and go at least once a week.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Check out many of the chairs new at a furniture or office store, Find one that feels right and then look for it on ebay...or check out the stores return policy. It would be worth a few extra dollars to know that if it didn't work out, you could take it back.

If you do it that way, support the locally owned, small businesses. There may even be a store that advertises that the sell 'back'

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
i have a coworker that has a back injury and has a "standing stool" sort of deal. Not fully seated but not fully standing up either. I'm actually thinking about one of those for when I get my permanent workbench set up.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good chair for sure.
I think there was a thread on chairs.
I don't even know my chair.. But I like it.
Also. I set an egg timer for an hour. And get up and do some range of motion exercises before resetting the egg timer, and getting back to work

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
As a fellow back pain guy I will share a couple of things that have helped me.
A memory foam cushion that has a cutout to relieve pressure on the coccyx.
A cheap clear vinyl inflatable donut inflated with just a puff of air so you hardly know it's there.
Get close enough to your work so that you have good posture, and use a chair low enough so you can keep excessive weight off of your legs at the edge of the chair, or use a chit with a waterfall edge.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
i have a coworker that has a back injury and has a "standing stool" sort of deal. Not fully seated but not fully standing up either. I'm actually thinking about one of those for when I get my permanent workbench set up.

Because of a spinal compression I cannot stand upright without support. All of my workbenches are now at a level that I can use a bar stool to sort of lean/sit on. My other back problems are now nothing compared to what they used be when I stood there all of the time.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep the most pain that I ever had, try. Relax the back store not cheap but compared to the pain:eek: cheap at half the price:thumbsup:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All of my workbenches are now at a level that I can use a bar stool to sort of lean/sit on.

some of my best work has been done sitting on a barstool. a nice person brings me painkillers for the asking, so my back doesn't bother me, either...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
find a good yoga class and go at least once a week.
my chiropractor does all the twisting and stretching for me. with yoga, i'd have to do it myself. what the heck? if i'm going to be in pain, i aint doing the work myself. i hire him to do all the work for me !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
have somebody take a foto of you in your usual working position. take the foto to a chiropractor or orthopedic doc. they can advise what is best for you, given your particular problem. you'l end up better off for it. comfort is a must. it's easy to have things helter skelter in your work place. for me, i have all the tools i usually need within arms reach. i do sharpening across the room, never one-at-a-time. i sharpen several at the same time. this saves the pita of having to stop working to sharpen.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i see a chiropractor, too. 30+ years of competitive sports have left me a wreck in my later years...

Sponsors