Brass Beard Comb

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for this, but one thing puzzles me... how is any of this stuff going to get between the teeth to polish in there? The surface stuff is pretty fast and easy to do by hand... the machining of the flats between the teeth is where I need to get it knocked down, and that media isn't going to get in there. I't can't be over .05" to fit in there.

That mixture of steel shot shapes gets into every nook and cranny and gives it a bright polish. You might want to use more of the shapes that are pointy on both ends. It works wonders believe it or not. And, don't try to use any sort of polishing compound with the shot or you will ruin the shot... I already tried that back in the 80's. :)

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Nice job on the comb. I would like one when you make a run of them. I don't think you will have any problem selling them even if you go no further than selling here in the forum. Heck, I don't even have hair or a beard and I still want one, lol.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Nice job on the comb. I would like one when you make a run of them. I don't think you will have any problem selling them even if you go no further than selling here in the forum. Heck, I don't even have hair or a beard and I still want one, lol.

I'm gearing up to do a small production run to see how it goes. I'll be making them in Brass and 6061 Aluminum... anodizing on the Aluminum will be optional.

I'll need to get permission from Sam to sell them, however... and I can't seem to send him a private message, the last time I tried it said his messaging was turned off. (A few weeks ago)

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
There is a coin collecting group called the Society of Bearded Numismatists, or SOB's for short. You may have a nice market there...

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
Milling them out of sheet, I needed a quick way to hold down the sheet, So I drilled them and held it to a backing plate for cutting. If I do a production run I will use only two holes towards the end. The other option is to waterjet them, or use a vacuum table, neither of which I happen to own. Honestly, I feel the two hole design will work out OK.

I'm no machinist, and I only stay at La Quinta's, but couldn't you add small tabs outside the design for the hold down points and trim them off afterwards? Just a thought. And, put me in for one or two brass combs!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm no machinist, and I only stay at La Quinta's, but couldn't you add small tabs outside the design for the hold down points and trim them off afterwards? Just a thought. And, put me in for one or two brass combs!

I make some accessories for the Chevy SSR and that's what we do with the laser. Very small tabs connect the parts to the sheet. I use a vertical belt sander to debur them.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member

In the shop, we do everything we can to keep hand-work at a minimum. Yes we could tab them and grind them off, but in the shop, time is money... lots of it! So I always try to come up with a time saving solution, because it lowers the price. As a simple example, it would take at least 4 tabs to get the job done... If that equates to 5 minutes of clean-up, it turns into another 5 or 6 bucks per comb at wholesale, and it increases the likelihood of human errors which render a small percentage of them as factory seconds or blems. 5 or 6 bucks at wholesale translates to at least ten to twelve dollars at retail. It's a balancing act.

The two-hole solution is looking pretty good, I'll post pictures this week of how that plays out.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I belong to IBRBS (International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas) and also the Longleaf Pine Santa Association so there is a definite market for the comb. IBRBS has over 1000 members.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I belong to IBRBS (International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas) and also the Longleaf Pine Santa Association so there is a definite market for the comb. IBRBS has over 1000 members.

A couple of years ago, I was in Anaheim for the NAMM show (A music industry convention), and I wandered into a Portillos Restaurant... There were several guys that looked EXACTLY like me, and they asked if I was participating at an event that was taking place at Knotts Berry Farm that week, which I believe was a gathering of the IBRBS.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I don't suppose you know "Tinker" from Montana or Pierre Uebe from Minnesota? :)

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A couple of years ago, I was in Anaheim for the NAMM show (A music industry convention), and I wandered into a Portillos Restaurant... There were several guys that looked EXACTLY like me, and they asked if I was participating at an event that was taking place at Knotts Berry Farm that week, which I believe was a gathering of the IBRBS.

A lot of the west coast boys meet yearly at Knott's Berry Farm for a "business meeting" so to say! Chapters of IBRBS all over the country meet annually to discuss ways to be better Santas.

Latest posts

Sponsors