Complete newbie advice needed

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, I should have said faster improvement I do believe the learning curve is reduced by a pneumatic system but keep in mind I know nothing. A palmcontrol my be one of the best setups out there and for 450 dollars it can't be a bad deal even if he sold it and turned the profit into other things he needs.

Sorry about that, I should have refrain from commenting.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, comment all you want. I did not think I made that connection between improvement and pneumatic. Sorry if I offended you.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I didn't see any connection either. And you're right in that pneumatic handpieces make learning easier and faster.

BarryB

Against the advice of my instructor, I hand chased for the first year, and then bought an old GraverMax, and in two months I was engraving ten times better than I had been with the chasing hammer. I thought I was getting pretty good with the hammer, but the results with the pneumatic graver taught me what a fool I was. After doing it the hard way, I wish I would have listened and I'd be so much further ahead now. The time was not truly wasted, I learned a lot, and this is just a hobby for me, but the learning curve with the pneumatic graver was much shorter. You plan to sell your work, so rather than invest a year in chasing, buy the Lindsay. Also, learn to sharpen your gravers. I have both the Lindsay templates and the GRS dual angle fixture with quick change adapter. Both have their place, the Lindsay is super easy but you have to buy a different template for each geometry. The GRS can sharpen almost anything, but it is finicky and if you don't tighten your knobs enough, it can shift. I have a 600 grit diamond wheel on a small drill press that works just fine, but I wish I had a power hone. Couldn't really figure out how to justify $600 for a hone when I'm giving away my work as birthday presents and such. If you are selling engraved rifles, your costs are more rightly justified. That's my two cents anyway...

Latest posts

Sponsors