+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Block ball vice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I read on one of these graver forums, might have been this one? someone posted that the Chinese knockoff vice was GREAT!................
    The Chinese vise is great if you replace a few things...

1) The Bearing
    2) The Jaws
    3) The Pin-Block
    4) The Vise Screw
    5) The Bottom Half
    6) The Upper Half

You can keep the rubber donut if it came with one...
    Study Draw Study Draw Study Draw Cut... REPEAT

2. Likes JJ Roberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Morgan View Post
    The Chinese vise is great if you replace a few things...

1) The Bearing
    2) The Jaws
    3) The Pin-Block
    4) The Vise Screw
    5) The Bottom Half
    6) The Upper Half

You can keep the rubber donut if it came with one...

Post Thanks / Like

Thee things are not rocket science. I use a bowling ball in a PVC floor flange with a machinist vise bolted to the top, no bearings etc.. As simple as these are, a little tune up of the moving parts should get you going. Take it apart, check the above listed parts, most likely you have a burr somewhere that is hanging it up. A little sanding will clean that up. Or the bearings have sat for so long the grease has caked in place. Mess with turning them for a little bit and see if they will loosen up.

Post Thanks / Like

Darrel, there's a saying "Misery loves company !" referring to the other forum post that Chinese vises are great ."
    ECCENTRICITY LEADS TO CREATIVITY -J. Turner

IT TAKES CONSIDERABLE KNOWLEDGE, TO REALIZE THE EXTENT OF YOUR IGNORNANCE ! Sowell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
    Thee things are not rocket science. I use a bowling ball in a PVC floor flange with a machinist vise bolted to the top, no bearings etc.. As simple as these are, a little tune up of the moving parts should get you going. Take it apart, check the above listed parts, most likely you have a burr somewhere that is hanging it up. A little sanding will clean that up. Or the bearings have sat for so long the grease has caked in place. Mess with turning them for a little bit and see if they will loosen up.
    Thanks DC, I found the problem, the top half pilot bearing is drilled crooked, spins very free when tension is backed off, but then it is so free as you might as well hold your piece in your hand, as soon as you apply pressure so you can grave and apply a little hand rotation it will be free then bind, I tried greasing the ball to stand contacts but then you lose you vertical axis......................on fleabay it goes, someone else need it more than I. arggggggg, I don't have any more doors to stop, and I won't buy a bigger house.
    Last edited by Darrell; 09-10-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember where it was...............it was the sellers site, a review of previous buyer, what a sucker! I fell into a trap probably posted by the sellers wife............PT Barnam was right.....................and it will live on forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about your dilemma, and I have thought of several uses for a Chinese (or indian) Ball Vise...

1) A wrecking ball for a doll house
    2) One-Handed weight training
    3) A cannon ball for civil war reenactments (Black paint required)
    4) After it has been painted black for the aforementioned application, you can then put a fuse in the jaws and for halloween dress up as a villain with one of those cartoon anarchist bombs that looks like a giant black Cherry Bomb... (Picture Snidely Whiplash and/or Boris Baddenov)
    5) Tie a string to it and use it as a plumb bob to find the "approximate" point before using an actual plumb bob to find the "exact" point... being in range can be VERY helpful.
    6) Practice engraving on irregular surfaces that somewhat resemble a sphere.
    7) Kayak Anchor!

There must be more...

Personally, If you EVER intend on getting a scope, I would get a nice turntable and keep the thing... My ball vise is an antique that was given to me by the knife maker Mike Lovett, and it is a smooth as SILK... but... It's locked down and sits on a turntable. A Chinese or Indian ball vise would work just as well under a scope.
    Last edited by Mike_Morgan; 09-11-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    Study Draw Study Draw Study Draw Cut... REPEAT

9. Likes JJ Roberts, vdrum4250 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this a old thread, but I bought a offshore 5" ball vice and indeed it did have a tight spot on rotation.
    My solution was to install a short 1/4 inch diameter stiff spring under the adjustment screw about 1/2 inch long. Mine was a longer spring cut down.
    The spring allows the plastic plunger to ride over the high spot. Mine is so much smoother now.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I wish somebody would make a vise that doesn't turn. I would much prefer the vise locked and using a turn table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywh View Post
    Actually I wish somebody would make a vise that doesn't turn. I would much prefer the vise locked and using a turn table.
    Easy, just replace the brake mechanism with a bolt.
    John B.

13. Likes Brian Marshall, RDP liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast