+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Block ball vice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Block ball vice

another new guy question...

well don't holler at me, looks like I bought the oats that came out of the horse......again.

I have a ball vice that came over to this country on a boat, that works just fine, till you try and rotate while cutting and it stalls and binds up, ARggggg, is the standard vice from *** company smooth on rotating or do the all have some resistance in spots??

Post Thanks / Like

Buying a vise more or less out of a rice field, or a back alley in Kowloon is always a mistake, it seems, by all these horror stories. GRS products, and others made here, are quality and the vises rotate as smooth as silk, unless you choose to lock them to do certain kinds of work. It should be a rule of thumb to NEVER purchase anything from a Pacific Rim country. It's too bad you didn't ask some of the forum guys before you made your purchase. We all make mistakes, and hopefully not a second time.

Post Thanks / Like

lock it up and use on a turntable.... never seen resistance spots... seen totally siezed

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a turntable from GRS this year. Works great. Even if you get a new vice you will like the turntable.

Post Thanks / Like

Another bad engraving vise story. Sorry this happened to you, but that's often what you get when you buy cheaply made tools from China or India. Any vise that hangs or meets resistance is junk. However, as pointed out, if you use a microscope and a turntable you will lock the crown of the vise and turntable will be what's rotating, so you might be able to get by with it. But if you ever need to use it as a conventional engraving vise you're in trouble.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

6. Likes Riflesmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrell, you aren't alone... I bought what is probably the same vise myself. I must have gotten lucky enough because mine doesn't bind but the jaws have some slop in them. I have a GRS block coming my way though but it actually cost about $120 more than it should have, if you get my drift... Buy quality and only cry once.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Confucius

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer but not surprising unfortunately. As I say, I can't afford cheap s#$t. A way around that is to buy good quality used. Too late this go around but good items, I'm guessing even 60+ years old for vises, show up on the likes of Ebay.
    Consider bargain hunting if you're tight for cash. It has worked for me on key items.
    Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

so, another doorstop. all may not be lost in your case. take the beast apart. you might find a high spot here or there. if you do, take fine diamond or rifflers and smooth off the highs. what condition is the shaft? rough? if so, take some fine wet & dry and smooth it a bit. you'll not likely end up with super smooth, but better than hangups. if there are bearings, that could be the culprit. if bearings are at fault, they need replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone once said, on August 5, "Sam, no more Chinese knockoffs for me !" , although I can't remember who it was.
    ECCENTRICITY LEADS TO CREATIVITY -J. Turner

IT TAKES CONSIDERABLE KNOWLEDGE, TO REALIZE THE EXTENT OF YOUR IGNORNANCE ! Sowell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atexascowboy2011 View Post
    Someone once said, on August 5, "Sam, no more Chinese knockoffs for me !" , although I can't remember who it was.
    Boy you guys are on the ball, no pun,........I yai yai, YES I did say that on Aug 5th , in defense, the vice and graver machine were bought at the same time, I had never really used the vice till my EnSet arrived a few days ago, and I do still mean it..... no more Chinese knockoffs for me

what persuaded me buy it, I read on one of these graver forums, might have been this one? someone posted that the Chinese knockoff vice was GREAT!................
    Last edited by Darrell; 09-10-2016 at 05:35 PM.

12. Likes atexascowboy2011 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast