Engraving block recommendation

Tres

I am very new to hand engraving and looking for advise on what is the best engraving block for me to get. I am interested in engraving jewelry and small plates. I am looking at the GRS standard, Lindsay (not sure about model) and Pepetool 5 inch.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the magnablock by grs is a great block. the only drawback, it's a bit heavy for jewelry. their microblock is great for jewelry, but a problem if you ever wish to graduate to guns or larger, heavier work.when i say a bit heavy, that does not mean jewelry sized pieces cant be done on a magnablock.

Tres

What about there standard block, it is 22 lbs, 2 1/2 inch jaw width and 3 inch opening verses the magna block at 33 lbs, 3 1/2 jaw width and 3 1/2 inch opening. Also is it a problem doing small stuff on the bigger block (I understand that generally move the block verses your hand when cutting).

Takoyaki

Hi,

I do have the Lindsay Palm Control vise.
Very fine tool!
In the size between GRS -micro and -standard block!

GRS has also very nice vises.

Ringenie, Jura Tools (on base of GRS Microball) could be also intersting, if you are more into setting,
I never tried it.
May others can say something about ...

Microball (GRS) and Ringgenie-Vise were too small for me, so I went for the Lindsay PC-vise with the leather ringholder.
It`s 4" (10cm) in diameter and weights 12lbs ( 5Kg) .
Perfect (not too heavy) for setting, still heavy enough for engraving. (in my opinion!)
My priority use for the vise is setting!!!

Don`t buy cheap chinese copies or indian crap! It is not worth the money and stress!!!
Also, if You live in a hot & humid area, like I do, look to buy all stainless steel, otherwise the tool rusts faster than You can sand it ...
Look for Quality!

Good luck!
Tako

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can use larger blocks for engraving small stuff, but it can be very difficult engraving large items in small vises. The GRS standard block is an excellent vise if you're engraving jewelry articles. If you're going to be engraving larger things like knives and guns, I would get a heavier vise. I have three GRS Low Profile vises which suit me and my students perfectly. Gun engravers like the Magnablock and even the Positioning Vise which are really beefy, heavy vises. I also have a Microblock which serves as a shelf decoration. Excellent for stonesetting, but way too small for the engraving work I do.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Goldilocks and the Three Bears go shopping for an engraving vise... :rolleyes:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm currently using the grs positioning vise. good all around vise. very good for using with a scope. ymmv

Tres

Thanks for the advice. I have just placed an order for the GRS Magnablock. May be on the heavier side but sounds like it will work for smaller stuff too.

Latest posts

Sponsors