Happy Accident with Stainless

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
I was working on lettering on a few stainless Yeti cups and my 120 tip wore out after finishing one and just for kicks I grabbed a 150-160 tip that I have for a specialty cut and kept working. The 160 cut a wider line width at basically the same depth as the 120.
The wider base also has a stronger tip so it's not as prone to breakage. Very pleased with the results. Just thought I'd share.

Rod

kuzcokelly

That post couldn't have come at a better time for me as I am Engraving a Yeti for my daughter...Tricky little suckers they are...Thin and stainless steel made for a tough combination for me. Thank you for sharing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I was working on lettering on a few stainless Yeti cups and my 120 tip wore out after finishing one and just for kicks I grabbed a 150-160 tip that I have for a specialty cut and kept working. The 160 cut a wider line width at basically the same depth as the 120.
The wider base also has a stronger tip so it's not as prone to breakage. Very pleased with the results. Just thought I'd share.

Rod

darn, dude-- that's almost a flat. i'm not sure i could make that cut.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
That post couldn't have come at a better time for me as I am Engraving a Yeti for my daughter...Tricky little suckers they are...Thin and stainless steel made for a tough combination for me. Thank you for sharing.

there's a trick for thin. put a heavy gauge plastic bag inside the cup. then stuff with modeling clay. affords somebacking, and also absorbs a lot of the vibration. a leather shot bag is great for doing this type work. i have a gunsmith pal that makes leather shotbags for folks. pm me, and i'll give you his details.

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Monk it's surprising how well it cut. About the same effort as a 120 but with the 120 you can only get the bare tips width which shows up ok but the 150 really lays a nice width of line in the stainless without the depth, for lettering that is. Most of my work is done with the 120 and for silver and gold you can sink it down, lean it over, and get a good looking line. The Yeti's are fairly hard stainless and anytime I can get a wide line without too much depth on them it's a good thing.

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors