Tap Magic Aluminum or Tap Magic Protap

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spoke to the distributer: They said tap magic aluminum but tap magic EPX would be even better for engraving. The tap magic protap would stain the metals.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Just about any thin oil will work fine on aluminum. In fact kerosene is highly recommended for aluminum. My guess is that spit might work too. How bout it Monk???? ;~)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here an other good use for Hoppe's No.9 I lube my tap when treading when mounting a scope,1/4 turn at a time I never broke a tap found this trick in an gunsmithing book by Ackerly. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have tried many. i have found for a host of reasons, plain ole kerosene works just as good as any i've tried. i believe tap magic and its relatives were designed for tools exerting huge pressure loads on the taps. gravers fall way short of the loads taps experience when in use.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
i have tried many. i have found for a host of reasons, plain ole kerosene works just as good as any i've tried. i believe tap magic and its relatives were designed for tools exerting huge pressure loads on the taps. gravers fall way short of the loads taps experience when in use.

Monk, you're absolutely correct. A graver is a very simple tool exerting littler pressure and next to no heat. Those two things are what dull most cutting edges. Too often we try to employ manufacturing aids into our simple, basic cutting process.

The old adage "KISS" is most relevant with our efforts. It's the same with competitive shotgun shooters who employ all kinds of high pressure grease on their expensive shotgun hinge pins. The Britts have been using Vaseline for about a hundred years on those "Best" guns that go for 6 figures.

In fact, if you use any form of transfer wax/grease/oil on the subject item being engraved that should be more than enough lubricant for the simple cutting we're doing.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Gentlemen: I beg to differ with you on the subject of stress and pressure impacting the tip of an engraving tool. Sam , I think or someone else has posted pictures or video of what an engraving tool goes through on a microscopic level. The tip of the tool undergoes considerable stress when shearing metal, especially stainless alloys. I think it was him who said if you watch the tool, especially a hammer driven tool that is lubricated you can see smoke generated by the tool as it is being driven through the metal. Thats just my two cents worth.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I'll say this, and I'm drawing from my machinist days machining aircraft parts for Boeing. If you're worried about heat affecting your cutting tool you will need a constant flow of some type of cooling fluid that floods the entire cutting surface of tool and subject being cut.

I seriously doubt that a topical application of some form of oil will cool a tool enough to lengthen the tools life.

Latest posts

Sponsors