"Stagecoach"

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
In 1937 a new John Ford Western Movie was released and soon after it was celebrated as elevating the Western from the "B" list to the "A" List. The movie was "Stagecoach," and it starred John Wayne. The movie had more elements and characters than the (then) traditional Saturday movie - cowboys, heroes, robbers, drunks, Indians, the Cavalry, child birth, and fallen ladies....shocking!

My client is a real Western Movie Fan, and she wanted stagecoach scenes from the movie recreated on the side panels of her Colt SAA.

This is a special Colt Custom Shop "Screwless Frame" Single Action Army and the open side panels provided just enough room for me to do the Ormsby style scenes. WL Ormsby created the roll dies that decorate the cylinders of Sam Colt Black Powder revolvers - circa 1847-51. Actually, this is a hybrid style of my own using the Ormsby line work combined with equal amounts of bulino dots and shading.
The scenes were squeezed into very small spaces and I spent as much time on the two scenes as I did on all of the scroll. To make the scenes even more difficult, this had to be a 6-Team Overland Coach to fit with the movie storyline. The photos are overlaid on the sketches I did prior to cutting the scenes.

The gun is seen here in the white. It goes out to Barron Tech tomorrow where Tom Lent will do a bright nickle plate. After I get the parts back I'll do a Colt style ink-and-bake to bring out the scrolls and scenes.

I will be showing this gun for the first time at the upcoming Colt Collectors Association Show in Louisville, KY (September 30 - Oct 2).

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you , sir, are a magician! the coach scene is just unbelievable. if ever an engraving matched the story that inspired it, this would be one. tyvm for showing the gun. how will the scenics survive the plating process?

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
That's the mystery Monk, this is my first time for a plated scene like this. I hope it will survive with nearly all the detail, but I might have to go back and pick some of the finer details. I expect that I might loose some of the fine bulino. I also expect to see the scenes in reverse - like a photo negative. The photo shows it as it looks now, without any darkening. When I apply the ink-and-bake I hope to revive the dark tones.

Andrew Biggs

Fantastic, Mike. :)

And I love the way you have fitted the stagecoach scenes into the bottom of the frame. Very clever.....and I have to say, it's very nice to see no gold in it (from what I can see) Just plain steel. Beautiful!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I agree Andrew. We're so used to seeing Mike's fantastic gold work, but it's refreshing to not see it also.

Mike during the course of this job, did you ever get the urge to add "...just a wee bit of gold"?

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone!

And another thing - this Colt is absolutely void of any gold, silver steel or platinum inlay. I really enjoyed the break!!

Even more, my tendency is to blow these theme guns out - this one is not "Over Produced" in regard to the theme. The only other related theme subject was this:

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
That's the mystery Monk, this is my first time for a plated scene like this. I hope it will survive with nearly all the detail, but I might have to go back and pick some of the finer details. I expect that I might loose some of the fine bulino. I also expect to see the scenes in reverse - like a photo negative. The photo shows it as it looks now, without any darkening. When I apply the ink-and-bake I hope to revive the dark tones.

i surely wish you luck on gettin that done.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, thanks for sharing, as im currently taking a bulino, class at grs and knowing electro nickle plating, im intrested to see just how much detail is lost, could you show us a picture after its plated and before you retouch the details, a great learning experience, thanks again.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice piece Mike. I agree, it's nice to see an engraved pistol occasionally. Gold inlay looks fab but sometimes a plain engraving can exceed it in my eyes, and the stagecoach scene really works for me. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, thanks for sharing, as im currently taking a bulino, class at grs and knowing electro nickle plating, im intrested to see just how much detail is lost, could you show us a picture after its plated and before you retouch the details, a great learning experience, thanks again.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More
Yes, of course, I plan to post photos after plating and ink-and-bake

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Mike,well done keep up the good work :thumbsup: what hold's the hammer,trigger & bolt in with out screws? J.J.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
JJ:

Colt has an ingenious way of forming the inside parts so that they pivot and turn on hidden axles within the frame. The Trigger Guard and Backstrap actually hold these parts in place by compression as the gun is assembled. It takes few special tools to put the gun together, and you have to hold everything carefully while taking it apart so the small coil springs don't fly!

Re: Ink-and Bake - this is nothing more complicated than using Speedball block printing ink to back fill all the cuts. This ink is oil base, so it dries very slowly. To speed the hardening, I place to parts in a small oven heated to about 200 degrees for an hour or so.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Re: Ink-and Bake - this is nothing more complicated than using Speedball block printing ink to back fill all the cuts. This ink is oil base, so it dries very slowly. To speed the hardening, I place to parts in a small oven heated to about 200 degrees for an hour or so.[/QUOTE]

Interesting! Hadn't thought of an oven as I've been applying the ink and using a hair dryer to help set it. I think I may invest in a small countertop oven. I guess I'm still deep in the box. Going to get out one of these days.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Bill,Just put the part in a large glass dish and stick in the oven 200 degrees and your good to go. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors