Change in Gunsmith laws

LGB

I have been reading lots of the new change on gunsmith regulations. I haven't seen anything on this site for you people to discuss the changes. On July 22 a ex. order was signed which will stop most of the small gunshops as the fee will be $2250 per yr. It mentioned that Engravers will not be included, but even making any parts will come under the new reg's. The NRA has an article which explained the changes and links other sites where the Govt. rule can be found. We all need to keep up with these ex. orders and hope that a Federal Judge will rule on this soon. I don't know if this is the right place to post this, Sam if this needs to be taken down I will understand.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
There is a thread about it. You might have to go back a few pages but it's in here. The bottom line though for engravers is that it really doesn't affect them (I just can't call myself an engraver yet... I'm getting there though!) because engraving doesn't affect accuracy or function and the gist of this order singles out those things specifically.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can discuss it if it stays on topic. It's an emotional subject (and rightly so) and if/when it turns to political bashing and name calling the thread will be locked or deleted. There are PLENTY of forums for that. This isn't one of them.

LGB

I didn't know that it had been on this site. Thanks for the link and I read all of the members comments. I have been a full time gunsmith since 1961 when I started at Trinidad to learn this trade. I have seen it all take changes before the first laws written in 1967 which started all this record keeping crap. The GI bill had ran out in 1960 and I didn't know so I had to pay for all of my schooling. Congress reinstated the GI Bill in 1963 after I had finished. Now they want to stop us from trying to make a few extra dollars to off set the SS check.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I'm no expert but my gut tells me (among other things...) that this is a lot of bluster with not much substance... We'll see. There will always be guns and along with them the need to have them repaired, modified or beautified... Those needs will not go unfulfilled, one way or another.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
The question that should be in the mind of those who work on firearms: Do you want to be the test case? It can cost a lot. In more then one way.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Bluetickhound - those are the words said in 1937 by those living in Germany. The laws being commented on here have been on the books since 1997! Those particular laws have been enforced towards the big companies(Rem, Win, Ruger and others, medium sized companies such as Don Allen Inc, NECG and others of this size also had to pay the $2250.00 per year for the privilege of doing business) and those doing export primarily and more recently import. The State Dept and the DDTC(Department of Defense Trade Controls) a arm of the State Dept. are now looking to enforce it nation wide not matter your status with the Dept of Justice (FBI-BATF&E) FFL holder or not.

Your personal freedoms and privilege of being a US Citizen are under attach wake up.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I just received a phone call from Sen. Jerry Moran's office about this regulation. They sent a copy of the letter sent today to John Kerry about suspending this executive order. I can post the letter here I think but I want Sam's approval before I do just in case.
Leland

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I just received a phone call from Sen. Jerry Moran's office about this regulation. They sent a copy of the letter sent today to John Kerry about suspending this executive order. I can post the letter here I think but I want Sam's approval before I do just in case.
Leland

Post it or tell us the gist of what it says.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
The letter is to of a big a file to put on here. What it does is explain to the state department why this executive order contradicts the intent of the law with specific statements taken from the original statutes. The letter was signed by 26 senators. The intent is to get the state department out of domestic affairs.
I can email the letter to interested parties or it may show up online at some point. Moran's office told me the strategy is to try this and then pursue legislation if necessary.
Leland