Master engraver?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
There was a post on facebook yesterday from a youngish woman who was calling herself a master engraver. Looking at her work, it's obvious that she doesn't compare to most of the engravers here, including some of the newbies.

Is there anything that can, or should, be done?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
No law that I know of... to prevent anyone from calling themselves a master engraver. No state or federal "licenses" .................yet.

But perhaps she knows nothing of FEGA and their certification? Maybe someone could obliquely advise her that it exists?

There are literally hordes of "master" engravers, goldsmiths, silversmiths, and jewelers in the USA that are not "credentialed" or "papered" in any way by any organization.

No time served. No tests passed. Just decided one day to BE one. More than half could not pass a simple bench skills test in fabrication or hand engraving.

Long as you can spell it right (or find someone who can spel it for you) - I guess you ARE one?

Brian

P.S. I have never called myself a "master" at anything. Never plan to. Too much to learn yet, and I'm a little long in the tooth to be wasting time taking tests. Been self-employed at metalsmithing and hand engraving for well over 40 years and haven't done too badly - without a title or any documentation.

I'd just as soon the client made the decision what to call me...

We've never had the requirements of British and European guilds, nor really well enforced manufacturing standards - for example karat content. And what laws do exist in that regard are antiquated. How do you fit mokume gane into any of the current karat marking categories?

How many small shops even have a "registered" hallmark/signature that is supposed to be next to or above the quality mark? And NO, I am not for MORE government interventions of any kind! Unfortunately, there are those who DO take advantage of the laxity in enforcement of what few laws exist.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Nope, no, nada..........not a thing can be done about it.

People can call themselves what they like including the worlds' best, super duper, orgasmic engraver...........unless they are breaking a specific commercial/criminal law then they can do what they want.

Cheers
Andrew

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I guess it's up to those in the 'guild' to set some standard as to what one should be called. Although I am a Journeyman Machinist, credentialled, and know what I'm doing, I'd never call myself a 'Master'. It's just a matter of courtesy in the industry, although terms like 'Master', 'Class 'A', '1st Class', and 'Journeyman' have been used throughout history, there seems to be no established or carved-in-stone precedent. Some use the term 'Journeyman", and have the skills of some Cretin, those who are skilled and seasoned stay out of the limelight, and lurk in the shadows. It might be better to say little, or nothing!

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
FEGA needs to do something about this by making its self well known. Currently there only about 30 who have the title. I am sure there are others that are highly skilled that may not be Members of the FEGA and whose work is equivalent to that of a master. Then there are those that think they are masters just because they can cut a line with a pneumatic tool and some not that well. I Never call myself an engraver, Though those who see my work are impressed. I say I do engraving. I Know what the work of a master looks like, I sometimes wonder if I will ever make it to that level.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Is there anything that can, or should, be done?

Maybe tarring and feathering by a vigilante group?
Nope, nothing can be done and doesn't really need to be done. This person will only fool a very few people and the rest will just roll their eyes.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I got my first copy of The Engraver in the mail the other day as a freshly minted FEGA member, along with a form to attend the show in Vegas... I can't make it (not this year anyway... Definitely planning to go next year!) but I'd be glad to forward to this young lady if she'd like to see some bona-fide MASTERS!!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
People can call themselves anything they like but proof is always "in the pudding". If they use an established title such as "Colt Master", "FEGA Master", "Ford Master", etc. Then provided the entity is willing to invest the resources (time and money) they MIGHT able to stop the abuse.

As for promoting the knowledge of FEGA, we have been aggressively promoting the guild over the last two years by attending others shows as a table holder. The NRA, Colt Collectors,Ohio Gun Collectors, Colorado Gun Collectors, New York Custom Knife Show, and Knife Makers Guild Florida, just to name some. All have been productive in membership additions as well as making the Guild know to the public.
The new Master Engraver Certificate project (now being completed and issued by the Guild to existing FEGA Masters) makes it impossible to claim FEGA Master status without being able to produce your certificate. See Engraver #110 for details.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think I found the person you're referring to on Facebook in the Hand Engravers group. I've seen a few people in the past referring to themselves as master engraver who use rotary burs for glass and metal engraving. I didn't look at all the photos, but what I did see didn't show any indication of graver work.

Takoyaki

Hi there,

here some information on "master craftsman":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_craftsman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_and_crafts_code_of_Germany

and here is what German gov. want from the candidates to become a master-engraver
Federal Minister of Justice and Consumer Affairs (Germany).

Regulation about the profession of the master craftsman's examination and the examination requirements in parts I and II of the master craftsman engraver craft (engraver master regulation - GravMstrV) :

greetings,
Tako

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm a world reknowned , master of the trumpet ! every time i play, all the neighbors near my house seem to close their doors & windows. i'm so dang good, cant figger why they do that.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I
I concur with tdelewis..

I don't call myself an engraver (let alone master) but just say I do engraving. I'm not a guitarist either. ...and I have been not being a guitarist since I was about 10 years old :confused:

Here's another self-proclaimed rotory master :thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHF5DvUno8

I hear you, brother... I've been playing WITH a guitar since I was about 14 but have never gotten good enough to want too many other folks hear me play... I don't even go to the stores any more because seeing some 9 year old kid effortlessly wailing away like Derek Trucks just depresses me....

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I played the violin for two months when I was 12 then my teacher took it away and said Jimmy you just don't have it not something I was going to master,mom was very happy.:clapping: J.J.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The folks around here that know me and my engraving keep referring to me as "Master" engraver to everyone they meet. I've just given up correcting them as it passes right through their thick skulls.