a little basic scroll practice

Troy G

Elite Cafe Member
I've been so busy lately that I haven't just engraved for the pleasure of engraving. Had some spare time today so I sat down and decided to take it back to the basics. practice.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i admit i haven't been following your work, Troy, so i don't know where you were say, 6-12 months ago, or 6-12 years ago for that matter, but that's pretty dang good!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Troy, that is totally pro, brother. Excellent in every regard. :clapping: :beerchug:

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, your work looks really good too! Seeing what you've been able to do in such a short time has me really tempted to go on ahead and get into the one
pneumatics... I'm bad about trying to run before I can even crawl though...

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, your work looks really good too! Seeing what you've been able to do in such a short time has me really tempted to go on ahead and get into the one
pneumatics... I'm bad about trying to run before I can even crawl though...

My work looks really good to a beginner... To the more sophisticated eyes of the well-established craftsmen on this forum, it looks OK, for a beginner. Also remember, that MY short time probably has a LOT more hours invested than YOUR short time. You most likely have a job, and a boss, and precious little time to work on it, and at my shop I AM the boss, I have employees that do much of the work around there, while I while away the hours practicing engraving. If we compared HOURS, instead of MONTHS, you'll see what I mean.

We're at risk of hijacking the thread, here, but I think your approach of getting some facility with hand pushing is going to pay MASSIVE dividends when you finally get that pneumatic hand-piece. Every minute you spend pushing that graver around is develop skills that cannot be attained any other way. Keep it up!

Last edited:

Troy G

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, for the beginners keep at it, it took me a lot of practice to get to where I could design and cut anything close to this.

Last edited:

Troy G

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, it's taken awhile but I'm finally getting the hang of this engraving thing lol

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
My work looks really good to a beginner... To the more sophisticated eyes of the well-established craftsmen on this forum, it looks OK, for a beginner. Also remember, that MY short time probably has a LOT more hours invested than YOUR short time. You most likely have a job, and a boss, and precious little time to work on it, and at my shop I AM the boss, I have employees that do much of the work around there, while I while away the hours practicing engraving. If we compared HOURS, instead of MONTHS, you'll see what I mean.

We're at risk of hijacking the thread, here, but I think your approach of getting some facility with hand pushing is going to pay MASSIVE dividends when you finally get that pneumatic hand-piece. Every minute you spend pushing that graver around is develop skills that cannot be attained any other way. Keep it up!

i agree, mike. if i were to teach, it would be starting with push. maybe a bit of h&c along the way.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
like mitch, i have no "time line for your progress. notwithstanding time at the bench, this looks super dandy to me.