Recent Kolar

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Deep relief engraved in a Germanic blackleaf style.

I really wish I was better at photography. Photographing the white steel I find particularly difficult

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 472
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 473
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 470
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 469

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a beauty shot of the previous gun and a few progress pics of the one in progress

The scene was engraved exclusively with a standard push graver...nothing fancy just a lot of time. I use a C-max round graver blank shaped to a 100' point graver with a traditional heel. I find that it's easiest and quickest to make the small lines and picks and dots and dashes without leaving a bur with a burin instead of pneumatic tools.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 375
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 372
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 368

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice. Thanks for posting along with your remarks on hand pushing. I am just starting and working on hand pushing so it is interesting to see just how much relief you can achieve that way. I'd have thought hammer and chisel would be easier for depth work. I was also wondering about the merits of hand pushing versus pneumatic for small delicate work and was thinking what you describe might be the case.
Thanks again for the insight. I like the style.
Jeremy

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice. Thanks for posting along with your remarks on hand pushing. I am just starting and working on hand pushing so it is interesting to see just how much relief you can achieve that way. I'd have thought hammer and chisel would be easier for depth work. I was also wondering about the merits of hand pushing versus pneumatic for small delicate work and was thinking what you describe might be the case.
Thanks again for the insight. I like the style.
Jeremy

Just to clarify, the grouse scene is with a hand graver. Layer upon layer of extremely fine lines, dots and dashes are what makes up the scene

The surrounding oak leaves and scroll was engraved with my gravermach AT

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ah, now that surprises me less :)
I should ponder more and let the espresso take effect.
Thanks
Jeremy

Ha! These Kolar guns are machined from 4140 chromoly....so it's hard stuff. 416 stainless cuts easier than 4140. The 4140 requires special tactics so you aren't sharpening every 15 seconds. I'm not even sure it'd be very enjoyable with H&C. The high stroke speed of the gravermach makes achieving deep relief and nice beveling much more attainable.

Engraving modern firearms made from modern metals isn't the same as 30 years ago. 1018 and other carbon steel is totally different than the modern metals I see regularly. Its a completely different animal.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for sharing this project with us , love the grouse scene and good info about the steel.
Thanks
~Omar

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving modern firearms made from modern metals isn't the same as 30 years ago. 1018 and other carbon steel is totally different than the modern metals I see regularly. Its a completely different animal.

This is true? Guns were actually made of 1018 that recently? :shock:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Trigger group housing and trigger guard

There were several designs drawn up on paper and the owner of the company was most partial to the oak leaves, so that's what I did. It's a style that gets requested but rarely executed. I have tried to fashion the oak leaves into more of a scroll format in most areas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 158

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished this one and out the door it went...on to the next one, no rest for the wicked

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 121

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I like oak leaf engraving, It's probably because it's what I was first Exposed to buy greatest generation bringing home trophies, it was one of my Favorites. Thanks for sharing your work.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
That really turned out very nice Burt, and I like how you incorporated the oak leaves into the scroll patterns, looks really good
good luck with the next project.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Burt,

I don't see your signature or mark on that gun. Does Kolar allow you to sign your work?

I signed it on the lower tang, might have done that after I took pics...but not sure it would have shown anyhow based on the angle of the pic. Essentially the location is right next to the trigger group.

As a note, almost every gun I do has a signature on it. Sometimes it's a single letter B, BLE, Bertram, B. Edmo. or Bertram Edmonston... All depends on the space and job