Bronze for engraving

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I just used my last piece of bronze to make a name plate and want to get some more. I have forgotten what type of bronze I used. The stuff I had engraved nicely. Name plates are for animal mounts with a bright cut border and a persons name. Are there any suggestions? There are different types of bronze and I have read from of the threads that some do not engrave well. They are sticky.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used door kick plates from home depot in the past. I have also been lucky enough to find cut offs and my local machine fabrication shop for free. I also put contact paper on sheet silver and have them cut it in the shear for a dollar a cut for bracelets and other parts. Fred

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a brass kick plate at Home Depot a couple months back to use as kick plate. Took it out of the package and discovered it's brass plated mild steel. Wasn't cheap either.

Be cognitive of the difference between brass and bronze. Bronze is much slicker and tends to be used for casting where as brass cuts nice and comes as sheet stock.

John

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=86&step=2&top_cat=79

The cartridge brass should cut nicely if the brass cases I've cut are any indication and the naval brass is the what most people prefer..... if memory serves.

Duh, I just noticed the third choice is "engravers brass".

I've never ordered brass from onlinemetals but I've gotten aluminum for other projects and received excellent service.

John

Last edited:

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
The bronze that I used was a gold color not yellow like brass. I did some research and found that bronze like other alloys comes in different compositions. I think what I am looking for is 220 bronze, but I'm not sure.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
did you use this to make money clips? or for some nother project.

Monk,I made some game birds out of it. Grouse, Woodcock, and a couple of 2 x3 door plaques with an initial surrounded with some scroll. Still have a couple of pieces if you're interested.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Appologies for diverting the subject slightly.

Someone asked me if I would engrave a cast brass Torqbar. Has anyone worked in cast brass or have any pictures of the end result. Is it unpleasant to do but still end up alright finished or just don't touch it?

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Appologies for diverting the subject slightly.

Someone asked me if I would engrave a cast brass Torqbar. Has anyone worked in cast brass or have any pictures of the end result. Is it unpleasant to do but still end up alright finished or just don't touch it?

I've engraved some 360 brass, and it cuts great. 260 also cuts really well. I've also done some cast brass that was REALLY soft, care needed to be taken to keep the cutter from diving in... but please remember, I'm new at this!

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Dani, I cut a lot of brass gun furniture some cast some fabricated. Cast brass can be all over the place some cuts like butter some never makes a curl just chips flying off the cutter. Hard brass can be annealed and it will cut easier.
I do not know what a Torqbar is but anything with torq in the name makes me think it will be hard and can not be annealed because of it's use.
Leland

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Dani, I cut a lot of brass gun furniture some cast some fabricated. Cast brass can be all over the place some cuts like butter some never makes a curl just chips flying off the cutter. Hard brass can be annealed and it will cut easier.
I do not know what a Torqbar is but anything with torq in the name makes me think it will be hard and can not be annealed because of it's use.
Leland

A torqbar is a small kinetic toy that rich millenial young adults use to amuse themselves between thinking about having a career.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I just googled Torqbar we had something like that when was a kid but it was made of wood and called a do nothing because just like the torqbar it serves no purpose.
Leland

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
You can get red brass (also called jewelers bronze) from Rio, IJS, or probably most other jewelry making supply companies. It cuts well and it's similar to yellow gold in color.

Stewart