First attempt at engraving

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Found my first try at engraving.
Do you have proof of you starting point in the engraving world.

Attachments

• IMG_20160826_072335957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160826_072335957_HDR.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_20160826_072346869_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160826_072346869_HDR.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 351

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
image.jpg

Other than chevron lines and basic circles, this is my first attempt to actually engrave something that looks like (Harty har har...) "engraving"....I did it earlier this week and it currently sits on my bench laughing at me...

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here are some very early engravings I did about 40 years ago.

Attachments

• beginning.engraving.jpg
    beginning.engraving.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 309
  • beginning.engraving3.jpg
    beginning.engraving3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 306
  • beginning.engraving2.jpg
    beginning.engraving2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 306

bswezey

I love seeing these kinds of things to give me hope that someday I might get somewhere in the hemisphere of doing work like some of you on the forum here. Here are my first two plates from last week. My first GRS class. 0816160855.jpg 0818161619a~2.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I love seeing these kinds of things to give me hope that someday I might get somewhere in the hemisphere of doing work like some of you on the forum here. Here are my first two plates from last week. My first GRS class.

Well done, you're on the right track and doing a good job for such early days.
May I suggest that you buy a couple of fairly simple scroll castings for study.
They will be a big help in your learning curve, show shading line placement and depth while reinforceing your GRS experience.
Draw and enjoy the journey.

Last edited:

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Well if by first engraving you mean first effort at an image as opposed to practice on various elements like lines etc I guess this is mine. Considering it's a first attempt I'm not too embarrassed by it :)
It's clearly very rough and the only thing I find I consistently think worked well is the texture on the thistle head. Otherwise definitely like an overly ambitious child's drawing that gets posted on the refrigerator :) It was done about 2 months ago at the end of a 2 week NRA Basic Engraving course in Susanville that focused on hammer and chisel.

Jeremy

Attachments

• thistle.jpg
    thistle.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 271

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
first-knife.jpg

Here's some of my first work, and the first knife I ever engraved. :eek: ::::shudder::::

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my first practice plate that wasn't just lines and scribbles. This was April 2nd of this year.

Behind it is a Pneumatic Engraver that i made in my machine shop... it's HUGE compared to my Lindsay Palm Control, it's 7/8" diameter and almost 6" long. It lacked finesse. (to say the least) That's when I decided I should concentrate on learning to engrave instead of learning how to make engraving tools.

Attachments

• IMG_3149 copy.jpg
    IMG_3149 copy.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 239

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I am just starting out, and have plans to take lessons from Tom Sterling. I thought I would get somewhat familiar with my equipment and sharpening before I show up at his door so I followed one of his tutorials to get started. Here's what I ended up with, and I learned that I have a LOT to learn!
[/URL][/IMG]

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
View attachment 38912

Here's some of my first work, and the first knife I ever engraved. :eek: ::::shudder::::

Thank you for posting that Sam! Now I don't feel so bad about my early engraving. I often wondered where I would be now if I had continued my engraving journey, as you and others did, instead of taking a twenty year hiatus. In the late 70's there wasn't much information and almost impossible to find personal instruction. As I've stated before on this forum, the only hand engraver I knew turned me down when asked for help, quite rudely too, I might add. I'll try and post something of my early work if I can find it.

bswezey

Thanks for the comment and the suggestion. I will definitely consider that. Thinking of ordering didyoung's shading DVD which also comes with a casting I believe.
My engraving equipment will be delivered Tuesday. I'm getting excited to get back in it!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Keep practicing don't get discourage get on the Cafe each day for updates on new engraving techniques much to be learned here.:thumbsup: J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for the comment and the suggestion. I will definitely consider that. Thinking of ordering didyoung's shading DVD which also comes with a casting I believe.
My engraving equipment will be delivered Tuesday. I'm getting excited to get back in it!

Good idea Bswezey.
Didyoung does some masterful shading and his casting will be a big help on line depth etc.
Don't try for too many shade lines at first. Two or three properly placed are better than a dozen helter skelter.
More lines will come as skill and muscle memory build up. Remember, they are still building Rome, he he.
You are on the right track.

bswezey

Two or three properly placed are better than a dozen helter skelter.

That's exactly what my instructor said! And I have seen where that is true....I have no delusions at this point. I know that lots and lots of cutting is in order to improve. Also looking at examples of excellent engraving is a big help to me, because it's funny how quickly a person is able to see what has been done poorly even if they don't know how to fix it yet!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is my copper plates from five years ago. There were some practice scrolls from a previous student on the back so when I took them home I went to work practicing the wiggle cuts.

And today's scrimshaw attempt... is this offending scrimshanders by calling it that.

Attachments

• IMG_20160830_120717.jpg
    IMG_20160830_120717.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20160830_120338.jpg
    IMG_20160830_120338.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 54
  • img_20160830_120535-resized-1280.jpg
    img_20160830_120535-resized-1280.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 52

monk

Staff member
so far, i think i have the worst. took me some time to find this. it's one of the first scroll attempts after getting a copy of the meeks book.

Attachments

• very early.JPG
    very early.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 50