Critique Request TTN Double Barrel

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Did this shotgun at least 9 months ago before I understood beveling cuts to inside of design. It was very difficult to engrave so small, especially when I like to cut deep. My friend has really taken over the CCH. He did it this morning. Any helpful input on getting better colors In areas where grey showed up are welcome. Has anyone experience with a tough clear finish like Turnbull uses? We've been trying to use deft but not on a firearm yet. He going to experiment with clear bake on gun-kote next. Any advice on improving my engraving and design are always welcome. Plan to do a Belgian blue on the barrel when time permits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 193

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Without being too critical, your straight lines need a lot of improvement.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What graver are you using for your straight lines i normally cut with a 105 but for straight lines i like to use a 90 its more forgiving with a constant width also cut along side the line not on it like a carpenter sawing wood next to the drawn line Anyhow this is what works for me

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
What graver are you using for your straight lines i normally cut with a 105 but for straight lines i like to use a 90 its more forgiving with a constant width also cut along side the line not on it like a carpenter sawing wood next to the drawn line Anyhow this is what works for me

I always use a 90 with long heel for straight lines. Back then I used a90 for everything. I'm glad this was pointed out. Got me thinking. Remembered that the receiver was very hard, broke a lot of points, resharpened a lot. This was due to all the pits I had to TIG weld up. Wanted to Nickle plate it but realized it wasn't worth the effort / decided to CCH it. I always lay out my borders with dividers, one leg on side and the other to mark my line. I've noticed that the edges are not always true and make for a wonky looking line. I've tried using flexible straight edges for cylinders and barrels but keep going back to the dividers and trying my best to make a straight line. I have been cutting on the line, so I will try beside the line like you and so many others have stated :beatup: Thx!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I forgot to mention. I did this pre microscope. Used opti-visor. Microscope really helps minimize mistakes.

Latest posts

Sponsors