aluminum engraved parts finish??

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have engraved an old Griffin and Howe scope mount that is aluminum, Even the scope rings are aluminum. The engraving was a snap but I cannot find any finish that will not degrade the engraving. I tried all of Brownell's gun finishes and they are not good for engraved parts Baked or unbaked.
HELP.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not familiar with in-the-basement, aftermarket finishes, but am with anodizing. There is a place in New Kensington, PA that does such work, and I don't know the name. They did our work. Keep in mind that it can be done in colors, and the finish you put on your work will be the finish you get back, with the color. Absolute cleanliness is a must. You may want to research further, to see if such people could color pieces in the traditional gun finishes, and it may be worth it to send them a few samples and see if the process would work for you.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Electroless nickel plate for aluminum works really well, if you can find someone that does that. I have tried it back in the day when Brownells sold the chemicals for it but they no longer carry that.

Latest posts

Sponsors