Drill Press Stand Size

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I am considering picking up a drill press column and table fro Grizzly. Before I do so I wanted to check with folks here as to what size drill press to get this from? Whether it is a 12" press or a 20" press will determine how far from the column the table extends. I also see that some tables will swivel while the pinion assembly remains stationary. Useful? Any suggestions are well appreciated,
Jonathan

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They seem to use the bigger ones and cut the shaft and slide it under the table. There is an easy to find pic of Sam's table if you search chair.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I purchased the table model drill press and regretted it as it was too short for my table. So, I had to add a spacer at the foot with a piece of 6x10 and a piece of plywood that was taking up space in the garage. I was green and didn't plan ahead. I learned about it way back in the "middle ages" from Rex Pedersen.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Being close to Seattle keep an eye on Craigslist, a used one is a good one to modify and a lot cheaper. Keep the drill head and the motor, you might want a drill press in the future.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I just pulled the trigger on one of the floor radial presses from Grizzly.
Bought the whole thing as parts were just as expensive as the whole.
I like the knuckled table. Now I'll just have to find some one looking for the top half!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the Grizzly radial press as well. The articulated arm is nice. It allows you to move the table out more. I bolted mine right to a concrete floor so I sold the base and head unit on EBay and recovered about 1/2 the money. I would use Craigslist now as well.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my solution....Im working on second floor so had to utilize wall structure to help stabilize setup. I also think the fact that the engraving setup (microscope and vise etc.) is all attached together helps too. Works well no noticeable vibration/movement.

stand1.jpg stand 3.jpg stand 4.jpg stand 5.jpg

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Now all you need is to mount a swing table on the right hand side for your TW Powerhone !
Nice setup Archie.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks ... LOL Re. the TW Powerhouse ... it is just outside of photo on a workbench.
I was at a friends of mine (when I was "designing" the microscope arm) and told him what I was trying to do when he said "think I got just what you need". He is a bigger 'collector" than I am and he pulled out the drill press table bracket. It was obviously made in another Chinese factory cause the hole diameter was too small....no worries tho I just had to slide it under the Bridgeport with a boring head and I was in business.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
drill-press-stands.jpg

For what it's worth, I have two drill press stands. One on my bench and one on my student bench. Mine is a Grizzly Radial Drill Press and my student stand is a Harbor Freight model with square table (which I have changed) and a heavier, larger diameter column.

Thankfully Harbor Freight swapped my square table for the smaller round one because the square is just too big and awkward.

The larger diameter column seemed like a good idea when i bought it, but there's a tradeoff I don't like. And that is the part that the column fits in which is bolted to the floor is taller than the Grizzly model. What that means is the table can't be lowered as much as the Grizzly. So when I have a short student, sometimes I'm at the very bottom of travel on this stand. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gone for the Harbor Freight with larger column.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input guys. That's one sweet setup you have ther Archie. I think my brain might explode though, if I didn't have somewhere to lay all my clutter!
Fegarex and Sam. Shortening the column on the Griz is straight forward, but how did you go about shortening the geared rack so it still rotates around the upper collar? Will I need to machine a step in it?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
how did you go about shortening the geared rack so it still rotates around the upper collar? Will I need to machine a step in it?

I cut it with a hacksaw by hand. You will have to grind a taper on the top where it fits under the retaining ring. I did that with a bench grinder. It'll instantly make sense once you see it in person.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
"That's one sweet setup you have ther Archie. I think my brain might explode though, if I didn't have somewhere to lay all my clutter!"

Oh fear not, it was only through selective cropping of the photos that you didn't see the workbench clutter (one to the left and one to the right) LOL

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Sam says on shortening the rack.
Also, in my home studio I chose a Harbor Freight model. As Sam said the base was very tall but they did offer a model in a "table top" version which is taller than most and is identical in all ways to the floor model with the exception of the base pillar and height. It works well for me in the studio.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
image.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the help. I got my work station set up today with the new stand and it is much more comfortable to work at.
Sorry for the extra sideways picture. I don't know why it was imported that way and I can't remove it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors