Ring job for Aussie engraver

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wandering if there are any really skilled inside ring engravers that I could contact regarding some script inside a ring in Australia

Knifemaker asked me to engrave inside a cool damasteel ring he is making, I could do it with my rotary burs, but it would be interesting to know the options for getting engraving done inside Australia

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
inside_ring2.jpg

inside_ring1.jpg

Speaking of using a bur for inside ring engraving, this was done by an engraver in Sweden, and IMO rivals the best inside ring engraving done with a graver. It was done with a round bur that's had the bottom half ground away resulting in a hemispherical shape.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mmmm, that's good work. I use inverted cone burs which have a pretty similar effect but the transition to thin lines might different. I don't imagine damasteel would be very difficult to work on with burs

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have never actually seen a good chisel engraving inside ring in person. Rotary might be the way to go given the way it catches light and the metal you're working on is complicated already.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
View attachment 38857

View attachment 38858

Speaking of using a bur for inside ring engraving, this was done by an engraver in Sweden, and IMO rivals the best inside ring engraving done with a graver. It was done with a round bur that's had the bottom half ground away resulting in a hemispherical shape.

holy cow. i would have guessed such would bring disaster. do you recall the rotary unit used to do this?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ordinarily we would look down upon someone 'grinding', rather than true engraving, but i gotta admit, that's pretty impressive...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
ordinarily we would look down upon someone 'grinding', rather than true engraving, but i gotta admit, that's pretty impressive...

Agreed, Mitch. It's fantastic. Very deep and beautiful done. I've tried it but didn't get results like this. Learning it is on my bucket list though.

Latest posts

Sponsors