A Signet Ring Engraved Two Ways With One Design

Andrew Biggs

One is the traditional seal ring style and the other is normal engraving……what they both have in common is that it is exactly the same heraldic design.

The original design left a bit to be desired in the leaf department so the customer allowed me to rework the acanthus leaves and stylise the helmet a bit more.

The “waxâ€￾ impression is actually Thermo-Loc :)

The face of the rings are 11.5mm X13.5mm

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Seal-Ring-1.jpg
    Seal-Ring-1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Signet-Herald-1.jpg
    Signet-Herald-1.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 259

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Lovely work, Andrew! Like you, I do 'em both ways - positive and negative. Do you know if the rings are cast or die struck?

Seeing the drawing on paper is especially pleasing!!

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all that :)

Sam....the rings are die struck and lovely to engrave.

I've had mixed results with cast rings. Some are pretty good to work with and others are terrible insomuch as they are gummy and don't cut cleanly. Sort of like cutting through thick glue more than metal.

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
May I ask did one type of engraving take you much longer than the other (not including the sides). Lovely work, thanks for sharing.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dani

Yes, leaving aside the side scrolls..........the seal ring took a bit longer.

I can pretty much engrave normal single point in my sleep because that is what I do every day. The seal ring however takes more to get your head around it being 3D (carving/sculpting) upside down and in reverse. So more thinking time went into it.

However, if you were engraving seal rings every day then I suspect that it would be quicker as you can achieve quite a lot with very basic cuts using rounds, flats and square gravers.

Cheers
Andrew