Critique Request

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Had a chance to do some drawing tonight. Andrew suggested drawing and filling shapes so I traced around a floor plate not a complicated shape but I'm a rookie.
Let me know what I should have done better.
Thanks. Leland

Attachments

• Scan0013.jpg
    Scan0013.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 362

Andrew Biggs

Not to bad at all :)

You have good balance between your scrolls and leaves

Your scrolls need a bit of tweaking but that will come with time and practice. Same with the leaves

My best advise is to just keep at it. Your on the right path and what you need is more refinement with your drawing. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was about to suggest you take the scrolls to the edges but then saw some lightly drawn elements filling in from the border, so I'll not suggest that! Looks good.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew and Big-Un thanks for the comments. I will get this someday I hope. Andrew, Saturday I was working in my shop engraving a toe plate for a flintlock longrifle I am building. I made a stupid mistake suddenly a voice with a New Zealand accent popped into my head, now you did it, didn't think that thru did ya. I don't even know if you have an accent but when admonishing me in my skull you do. I started laughing no one else there so I didn't have to explain.
Your comments are appreciated, Leland

Andrew Biggs

Yep, I have a heavy Kiwi accent alright...........you just have to ask everyone at the FEGA show :)

Just keep at it. You are on a good path. Keep observing, keep drawing and keep cutting.

Cheers
Andrew

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, Andrew does have a bit of an accent! But , being "down under" I just call it upside down southern twang! We CAN understand him.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a clearly defined point of origin. that's good. your "flow is also good. the background is rather (to my eye) consistent. the border line you've drawn, uh, well, that is a disaster, but will improve with some practice. you might want to practice drawing borders without worrying about filling in the space.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Monk this one was never about the border I am still trying to learn the flow and balance thing can't overload my feeble brain.
Omar age and time are both catchin up to me.
Thanks for your comments they are appreciated,just trying to improve.
Leland

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk this one was never about the border I am still trying to learn the flow and balance thing can't overload my feeble brain.
Omar age and time are both catchin up to me.
Thanks for your comments they are appreciated,just trying to improve.
Leland
well, then-- it was very good. i thought your flow and balance to be rather nice. the beauty of scroll, to me, the fact that any shape, no matter how strange, can be filled with scroll. and it will always look good. i know of no other design concept that does this as effectively as scroll. one thing i liked in your drawing, was the background. i think a good background lends a lot of support to the design, whatever it may be.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk, On this drawing the thought never even occurred to me to draw a border other than a spacing line probably should finish all of the drawings. Borders are not something I struggle with since finding this site who would have known a.5mm pencil line is to wide when cutting a straight line. The scribed line and cutting next to it tip took the scary out of straight lines. Everyone can see a mistake a in a straight line. I purchased a white ultra fine pen and have started drawing on black paper it gives almost a negative effect I think it helps me see problem areas in my design.
Leland

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Leland
For what it's worth there are 0.01mm black pens out there which allow use of white paper.
Arguably they too are "too" wide but I find doodling with them at a larger scale (200% or so) can give a decent idea of pattern.
Jeremy

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Jeremy, I use those to draw direct to metal sometimes. The white on black paper makes the negative space stand out.I think it helps me visualize balance between negative and positive space.
Thanks, Leland