Question: Printed image on clear film transfer

Darrell

Printed image transfer to metal.

I have the ability to take a photo and convert it to pencil drawing image, I want to print on clear film and transfer to metal for graving.

I have been reading various methods but have not nailed a process that will work for me, my Brother inkjet is not working well, I am using the thinned 20% gammar varnish. supposedly HP 56 ink is one that will work.??????

does anyone have a printer that works well and want to share what kind and tricks.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have the ability to take a photo and convert it to pencil drawing image, I want to print on clear film and transfer to metal for graving.

I have been reading various methods but have not nailed a process that will work for me, my Brother inkjet is not working well, I am using the thinned 20% gammar varnish. supposedly HP 56 ink is one that will work.??????

does anyone have a printer that works well and want to share what kind and tricks.

thanks in advance

I have a Samsun M2020 laser printer,

I make all of my transfer with it and it takes only a few seconds to transfer

It makes perfect and durable transfer on any kind of metal and you need to use sand paper if you want to remove transfer from metal.

No matter how hard you try, you can not remove the transfer from metal by rubbing it with your finger.

Don't use Brother printer, because of its ink type you can not make perfect transfer, I strongly suggest you to get a Samsung laser printer.

Also, please visit Tip Archive section, there are some topics regarding to transfer techniques and Brother printers.

Darrell

Thank you very much, I have been reading all the articles, and have found a new section on Linsey site, I will check out the samsung.....

when you make the transfer do you do it right away while ink is damp, or dry? and the solution is damp or dry??

I just ordered a Samsung M2020 at Amazon!!!...............thanks!!!

Last edited:

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much, I have been reading all the articles, and have found a new section on Linsey site, I will check out the samsung.....

when you make the transfer do you do it right away while ink is damp, or dry? and the solution is damp or dry??

I just ordered a Samsung M2020 at Amazon!!!...............thanks!!!

When I transfer by using M2020, the design on the metal is dry and it stay there until I use sand paper.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you make the transfer do you do it right away while ink is damp, or dry? and the solution is damp or dry??
You can make a transfer with your existing printer, however it is a juggling act to get the drying times just right for both the transfer and the dammar. It might take several tries. If the ink on the transfer is too wet, it will run and if it is too dry it won't transfer.

What I have done is to have everything set up and ready to go. Print your transfer on the film. While it is tacking up, put the dammar on your workpiece and blow on it for a couple of seconds until it is tacky with your thumb. The transfer should no longer be liquid, but almost dry. Do the transfer. Adjust one or the other until you have success. An additional help is to add a small line somewhere on your transfer, but not part of your artwork. You can use it to judge the dryness of the ink using your thumb. It should smear with mild pressure.

It's a PITA but works if you have no other alternative at hand.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a Samsun M2020 laser printer,

I make all of my transfer with it and it takes only a few seconds to transfer

It makes perfect and durable transfer on any kind of metal and you need to use sand paper if you want to remove transfer from metal.

No matter how hard you try, you can not remove the transfer from metal by rubbing it with your finger.

Don't use Brother printer, because of its ink type you can not make perfect transfer, I strongly suggest you to get a Samsung laser printer.

Also, please visit Tip Archive section, there are some topics regarding to transfer techniques and Brother printers.

Salih: Are you printing and transferring with transparency sheets or plain paper?

Darrell

You can make a transfer with your existing printer, however it is a juggling act to get the drying times just right for both the transfer and the dammar. It might take several tries. If the ink on the transfer is too wet, it will run and if it is too dry it won't transfer.

What I have done is to have everything set up and ready to go. Print your transfer on the film. While it is tacking up, put the dammar on your workpiece and blow on it for a couple of seconds until it is tacky with your thumb. The transfer should no longer be liquid, but almost dry. Do the transfer. Adjust one or the other until you have success. An additional help is to add a small line somewhere on your transfer, but not part of your artwork. You can use it to judge the dryness of the ink using your thumb. It should smear with mild pressure.

It's a PITA but works if you have no other alternative at hand.
perfect, that answers my question, that may be the reason why my attempt failed, both ink and gammar were dry as a bone, I had thought about the happy medium of tacky stage being more successful, thank you very much. And we are talking print on clear film not the smooth side but the rough side.

Thanks bud, I have tried the transfer on my Brother at various stages of tackness, not even a slight transfer, after reading several articles it appears that the properties in the ink is a major player, even in same brands of black IE HP 61 works great, while HP 68 will not. so this brother so far has not worked, will be looking forward to seeing how this Samsung will work when it comes.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member

thanks in advance

my hp uses # 92 black. that works well for any transfer i ever wanted to do. in my ignorance, i don't know if you can swap cartridges.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
Salih: Are you printing and transferring with transparency sheets or plain paper?

Hi Sam,

It is a regular paper, I tried with transparency sheets but I was not able to make transfer so I use regular ( plain ) paper.

Darrell

Hi Sam,

It is a regular paper, I tried with transparency sheets but I was not able to make transfer so I use regular ( plain ) paper.

Really!!.........thanks for that, thank you guys so much for the responses, Salih, my Samsung will be here in the morning :)...........YIPPIE!!!

Darrell

FINALLY GOT IT!!!!! I got this samsung printer set up and tried it and guess what NO WORK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT ran across an article on Linsey site, all you do is dry white paper, print your image, lay it on your metal, hold in place, and daub it with nail polish/acetone for a little bit, press, lift paper and BINGO!!!
and yes even worked on my Brother, I have spent many $$$ getting this to work, now I am a happy clam.

Latest posts

Sponsors