Question: Sam's transfer wax

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
I have a question.
I just ordered Sams transfer wax. This wasn't something I planned for but I bought his video on how the wax works. I got inspired by it and thought I might give it a try.
I have already started on the gold inlay channel on this scene so I'm a bit late here but once the gold is in place I think It will work anyway, don't see the reason why it shouldn't.
Now to the question, I want to transfer the same pattern but mirrored. Can I do the transfer, mirror it to another tape and leave it until I'm done with this side, or do I have to do the transfer right away and cut the outlines on the other side directly? The reason for asking is I don't want to change my fixture now (thermo lock) until this side is done. It's a knife handle by the way.
Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would make 2 or 3 mirror copies and keep them ready. The transfer success rate goes down quite a bit when you mirror a design with 2 pieces of tape.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Yes I know, I saw that on your video but I like the idea of that you can positioning the transfer better. When I do it with a paper transfer I am kind of blind.
Thanks for your quick response.
The best

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Bondo your engraved side, ink the cured bondo ,then pull a mirror image from that.
This way you pretty much have a permenant copy.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
atexascowboy2011, can you explain the bondo thing I am very familiar with bondo I was a auto body guy in the late 70's and early 80's when cars rusted before your eyes. What do you use for a release agent?
Thanks, Leland

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Leland,
Get some Play Doh and build about a 3/8" deep dam around your engraving. Spray with a release agent for molds from Hobby Lobby.
Mix your Bondo up a little runny and pour it in.
LET IT FULLY CURE !
Remove the P D, then tap the engraved object loosening the Bondo.
You now have a Mirror image.
Do this again to your Bondo pull and you have a transferrable pattern of both sides for years to come.
For durability you can expoxy the outer walls for even longer longevity.
This was taught to me by Al Scott who learned it from Frank Hendricks.