Excellent video on gunmaking!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is definitely worth watching! Thanks to Sandy for sending the link.

[video]https://youtu.be/qUXoNUzAyvk[/video]

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Fascinating!! As a guy who has built a few mandolins in my time I was really into the stock making portion of the video as much as the engraving part. The guy checkering the grip was a boss!! Imagine goofing that part up after all the work that went in beforehand.... I guess that's why they say "stress is for people who don't know what they're doing.".... I could spend all day watching the videos in the playlist underneath this one but I gotta figure out how to engrave straight lines first...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I was surprised they weren't using CNC for the stock inletting or shaping. Total hand work. Just fantastic to watch.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
There's a reason bespoke shotguns (or shoes, or really ANY high end handmade goods) cost as much as they do and in my opinion, they're worth every penny and then some.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting that.
That's the first time I've seen the barrel regulation process.
I am also surprised that they don't start the rough stock shaping at the head with CNC. Perhaps it isn't worth it since so much of the rest is shaped to the customer anyway and many cuts in corners need to be squared from the round router type cut as well.
Jeremy

Darrell

That was aired on TV before, enjoyed seeing it again, an outstanding example of craftsmanship, as each Holland & Holland is hand made, NO parts are interchangeable, a gun that can be handed down for generations.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is certainly an example of "If you have to ask how much... you can't afford it". Only the super rich and the skilled craftsmen ever get to touch them. What money can buy. I wish it was me. :eek:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm very happy with my two old Parker double guns,a 16ga.Trojan and a 12ga.VH made in the 1920's.Parker the sportsmen's dream.:thumbsup: J.J.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
New, yes. Used, you might be surprised. Decent condition Top Name guns show up at UK auction houses for an order of magnitude less than new. Similar quality from less recognized provincial "no names" are even more "affordable ". One of my best shooting guns is a classic Horsley patent top lever hammer gun that, net, I got for free (long story) and had refurbished and reproofed for about a grand. I recently also reunited a true pair owned by one Brigadier General Herbert for about what a pneumatic graver setup runs.
Jeremy

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
At 14:34 to 14:38, I think there are some rules broken there???:no::no:, if I could afford to buy one of those, I would get Phil to engrave it, ;)

Richard.

Last edited:

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I was surprised they weren't using CNC for the stock inletting or shaping. Total hand work. Just fantastic to watch.

They range anywhere from $50000- $100000 so I think they will give the customer the extra attention they deserve, and they are custom made from scratch hehehe....

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I found that Zebra pattern "carved" engraving at 2:52 extremely interesting. It's exactly a texture I was trying to envision on a rough sketch idea..very interesting. You never know what you might find in the details somewhere.
Thanks for posting it!
Jeremy

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I found that Zebra pattern "carved" engraving at 2:52 extremely interesting. It's exactly a texture I was trying to envision on a rough sketch idea..very interesting. You never know what you might find in the details somewhere.
Thanks for posting it!
Jeremy

I don't think that zebra pattern is engraved. I'm pretty sure it's damascus steel (pattern-welded steel).

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I think it is engraved.
Freeze the frame and you can see the profile from the engraving (or etching??) up at the top.
I've never seen Damascus with that kind of controlled pattern.
I always stand to be corrected though:)
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the music was enjoyable. the video, well it kind of speaks for itself. i'm going to buy 2 of them, in the next life.