radio interference with new GraverMax G8

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hey all-

i recently upgraded from a late 1980s vintage GraverMax to a new G8. love it, but something about the DC motor was causing my radio to lapse into unlistenable static the instant it was switched on.

a little research online into RFI (radio frequency interference)/EMI (electro-magnetic) filters and i was off to the local RadioShack for a couple packs of these:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-snap-choke-core?variant=5717355973

since both sizes of the two-packs i bought fit, i snapped all four on the cord between the machine and the transformer (having no need for them elsewhere). seems to have solved the problem for about $6.
:banana:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, well the tinfoil in my propeller beanie wasn't adequately blocking the signal...

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just read a little commentary on these ferrite filters for RF that come with a lot of the cords on various computer gadgets. Do not remove them. That's exactly what they're for!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
THANK YOU MITCH!!! I have not used my radio for over two years because of the same interference problems you mentioned. The "geniuses" at my local Radio Shack had no solutions. I'm going back tomorrow armed with this new knowledge.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
If you have good ears and its quiet you can hear the transformer make a high pitched noise. At least mine does @ 220Volt

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This reminds me as an old ham radio operator much of what we learned about RFI was that the receiver (TV, radio, etc) was almost always inadequately protected, and not the fault of the device causing the interferance. It was easier to buy a filter for the neighbor's TV than to try to explain to them that the TV should have been built with better filtering.

Glad you got it sorted out though. I didn't know Radio Shack had anything but mobile phones any more.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
This reminds me as an old ham radio operator much of what we learned about RFI was that the receiver (TV, radio, etc) was almost always inadequately protected, and not the fault of the device causing the interferance. It was easier to buy a filter for the neighbor's TV than to try to explain to them that the TV should have been built with better filtering.

Glad you got it sorted out though. I didn't know Radio Shack had anything but mobile phones any more.

our local shack has all the goodies. you have to know what you're doing, though. the youngsters there know little of electronics

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Update: Having used this set-up for a few days I have found it works best on the strong signals from local stations. Any stations broadcasting from farther away- that normally sound just fine- are still somewhat affected by static. Not as bad as without the RFI/EMI filters, but enough to be annoying. Interestingly, putting one of these little "snap core filters" on the radio's power cord makes the reception much worse. hmmm...

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep the radio is useing the house wiring as part of a antenna MTC YMMV

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
You should hear what a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner does to an IPhone. Does anyone no of a fix for that.

don't know of one, mike. i'm sure it can be fixed, though. btw: i still use the cirelli "sauce". actually used it today on a buckle. i did discover a trick-- i let it dry at least overnight. when ready to do the transfer, i sort of polish the surface with worn out 1k wet & dry. i then dust it off with a dry cloth. it seems to take a better line that way.

Latest posts

Sponsors