Colt 1905 with some inlayed ivory

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hard to believe-- just stunning to the eye. every now & then, someone raises the bar. you've done it in the past, and again with this project. tyvm

monk

Staff member
Just got this back from Turnbulls. Kind of a different project, I don't typically do handguns nor mess with doing grip or stockwork. In any case, the customer wanted rubies and shell inlay and a knife to make a set, so this is what I came up with.

A close up of some shading.......perhaps overshading?

Grips are ivory, with abalone inlay and bezel set rubies

i'm beyond curious as to how one goes about setting the stones in ivory. i know gorilla glue is not an option, then how ?

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn, On flat areas I design everything in photoshop and the final draft in painter. On areas that have a compound curve I draw straight on the metal.

Sam, Thanks. I don't often get that much room to just go wild with scrollwork, usually there is a scene of some sorts in any area of size. So it was kind of fun to just let it flow on out there.

monk, yeah I kind of had to make that up on my own. I'll just say my original idea failed miserably. However, what worked well was to take gold tube, taper one end, bezel set the stone into the other. Then drill the ivory a few thousandths undersized of the diameter of the gold tube. Put a dab of epoxy in the hole and then with a copper punch tap the setting into the ivory. Wipe any stray epoxy and you are good to go. I think the press fit would hold them as it does take some force to drive them in, but the epoxy adds some peace of mind. Repeat 40 times.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, you are amazing... I happened to be listening to Frank Sinatra in the background as I was admiring your work
The two seemed to go so well together, your scrolls, Art Deco and the ivory handle with the inlays, just amazing...
I wish you many years of great work to come, and thanks for posting here and inspiring us new comers . it's work like this that makes us want to stick with it and enjoy the ride

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, you improve your artistry with every project. Absolutely fantastic, love the design. I missed the ruby inletting technique upon my first examination, even when blown up, but after your explanation it was quite obvious. Excellent way to approach a difficult and challenging situation.

Bill

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can't add anything other than the fact that this is by far my favorite gun I've seen this year!! Thanks for doing it. It's this kind of work that sets the bar and inspires engravers everywhere to push their limits.
Layne

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. As always on big jobs like these, there are things we would like to have done differently, but if we were ever satisfied with our work there would be no reason to keep pushing for better. Although it was educational, I am happy it is done and that I am back working on a rifle and my only responsibility is the engraving. :biggrin:

Have a good weekend. Thanks again. B.

monk

Staff member
Shawn, On flat areas I design everything in photoshop and the final draft in painter. On areas that have a compound curve I draw straight on the metal.

Sam, Thanks. I don't often get that much room to just go wild with scrollwork, usually there is a scene of some sorts in any area of size. So it was kind of fun to just let it flow on out there.

monk, yeah I kind of had to make that up on my own. I'll just say my original idea failed miserably. However, what worked well was to take gold tube, taper one end, bezel set the stone into the other. Then drill the ivory a few thousandths undersized of the diameter of the gold tube. Put a dab of epoxy in the hole and then with a copper punch tap the setting into the ivory. Wipe any stray epoxy and you are good to go. I think the press fit would hold them as it does take some force to drive them in, but the epoxy adds some peace of mind. Repeat 40 times.

thanks, brian. that gives me a headache just thinking about doing that !