Hand Engraved Rolex

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Great job!! Items that are engraved like this really inspire me. I primarily carve hobo nickels, I am getting more serious about engraving and I hope that one day I can reach this level of workmanship. One more thing. Did Rolex recently change the type of stainless that they use for their watches?

Thanks Joey. I believe that Rolex uses 904L since switching from the 316L which is standard for most watchmakers. I have read that it is supposed to be more corrosion resistant. Fortunately for engravers I think it is not as hard to cut as 316L but I still have to sharpen fairly often as opposed to other metals.

Monk, cropduster and Layne, thanks for your comments! Layne, I have always been inspired by your work!

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Davidshe: I have engraved two Rolex watches recently, and have found the watch case to be some of the most miserable material i've ever encountered. The watch bands are not that bad but are a challenge to hold onto while cutting on them, thank god for Thermo Lock. The first watch I did even had the crystal still in the case, which made the job even more difficult. If anybody takes on the job of engraving a Rolex watch, you should make sure you charge enough to make it worth your trouble.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Davidshe: I have engraved two Rolex watches recently, and have found the watch case to be some of the most miserable material i've ever encountered. The watch bands are not that bad but are a challenge to hold onto while cutting on them, thank god for Thermo Lock. The first watch I did even had the crystal still in the case, which made the job even more difficult. If anybody takes on the job of engraving a Rolex watch, you should make sure you charge enough to make it worth your trouble.

Hi Tim - sorry to hear you had such a tough time with those Rolex watches. Can you post pictures of them so we can see how they turned out?

Latest posts

Sponsors