Hand Engraved Rolex

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Recently finished engraving this Rolex Milgauss and thought I would share it. 3 1/2 years ago I spent a week with Sam and he showed me how to engrave the Rosette that you see on the case back along with many other valuable lessons. I would also like to say a thanks to Andrew for the unselfish help he has given me with watch engraving. I feel like I have come a long way but I also know that I have a long way to go. Some of the talent I see displayed here is beyond belief but so motivating. Thanks

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work David. Do you use some sort of jig to hold the case and band? How did the metal cut ?
Thank you for posting. I see I have a long way to go to get to YOUR level. And I am motivated by your work.
Sincerely ,Mark

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Beautifully executed detail
nice design and not overpowering . I really like it David, keep cutting and I can't wait to see your next piece.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Interesting work on the links. How did you mount those for cutting to avoid damaging the links and pins?
This actually gives me an idea for practice material : Rolex reproduction bracelets from China. ... maybe "Chindian" rubbish does have a use :)
thanks posting and for the inspiration.
Jeremy

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Mark - the Rolex stainless steel actually cuts better than other less expensive stainless watches I have engraved. thank you.

Jeremy and Mark -I made special jigs for engraving an apple watch but for the Rolex I did not find it necessary. For some parts I use thermo-loc on a piece of wood to hold the parts. Others I use hot glue and sometimes I just use leather inserts in my vice. The bracelet links can be wrapped around a piece of 2" round wood and attached with glue or thermo-loc. Hope that answers your questions.

Omar - thank you!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congrats on getting some high end engraving jobs David! You've come a long way in a short time and it's great to see your hard work and dedication paying off. :beerchug:

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I think it takes some stones to engrave on a Rolex, especially when it's someone else's Rolex! Great job. It looks fantastic.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
So I was telling my wife about the nice comments I received from my fellow engravers on this forum including some of my heroes. She lovingly looked me in the eye and said; "honey, it's a good thing you engrave better than you dress, your shirt is on backwards"... :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the absolute clean look to this work. it seems you paid attention in sams' classes

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
So I was telling my wife about the nice comments I received from my fellow engravers on this forum including some of my heroes. She lovingly looked me in the eye and said; "honey, it's a good thing you engrave better than you dress, your shirt is on backwards"... :)

there's a cure for that-- don't let her dress you in the morning. do it yerself.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice and cleanly executed! Someone is going to be really happy every time they look down to see what time it is.
Layne

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Great job!! Items that are engraved like this really inspire me. I primarily carve hobo nickels, I am getting more serious about engraving and I hope that one day I can reach this level of workmanship. One more thing. Did Rolex recently change the type of stainless that they use for their watches?