Help, please: Deep crest work

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have three rings on by my bench and they want deep 3D crest engraving. I've never done this, I feel in over my head. Am I going to need new tools or supplies.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Danae.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use modified flat gravers which have a rounded bottom. I find most round gravers to be too round for my work, so radiused flats are my choice.

Go slowly and take frequent impressions with silly putty or some other substance to check progress. Once you wrap your brain around it it's not so bad.

For engraving down inside the shield and doing lettering in the banner I have a couple of very tiny rounded gravers that are ground away behind the heel on the bottom. This allows me to work inside recessed areas without the back of the graver hitting the sides.

Rapid breakdown stones are good for smoothing the bottom of the shield.

My tutorial is here. Engraving a Coat of Arms

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
That is amazing work, I can see when you specialize in somethings you become a master of that craft, thanks for sharing that link

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I quoted the jewellers on the crest pictures in 2d and in 3d. They chose 3d. So in my mind seal like. Never met spoken with the customers

Andrew Biggs

Shape your tools to the size of the work you are doing. Keep the tips small!!!!

And don't forget, you are working in reverse and upside down............ which is easy for us as we are already upside down :)

Cheers
Andrew

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I quoted the jewellers on the crest pictures in 2d and in 3d. They chose 3d. So in my mind seal like. Never met spoken with the customers

The reason I suggested to confirm this was that the customer may want deep relief (3D) but not in reverse, get these details checked and even in writing, it is not something to be assumed - for your own piece of mind

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What exactly are rapid breakdown stones listed as on Gesswein? They have a huge range of different stones.

I have some stones for inlay work from Tira's website, not sure if you're supposed to use oil with them.

Danae.

Sam

Staff member
These are the I use:

Rapid breakdown 1/4" x 1/4" x 4"
320 grit - 410-0302
400 grit - 410-0402
600 grit - 410-0602

celticjohn

wow! if you think his work is amazing, watch the video on the site. he does those signet rings in only about TWO MINUTES!!! unbelievable...

Yes! Truly amazing. Apparently off camera he has another ring in his mouth and engraves that with his teeth, therefore, engraving 2 seal rings in 2 minutes. Outstanding work.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
That's brutal work to be done by pushing. A few years of that will take its toll on his hand and arm. There's a chasing hammer nearby so maybe he's using that for the heavy stuff.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This guy is phenomenal! Anyone have any idea what material he is using for the impressions of the signets? It has a lighter tone on the raised areas and dark background. Very cameo-like, which I obviously find very intriguing.

Sam

Staff member
This guy is phenomenal! Anyone have any idea what material he is using for the impressions of the signets? It has a lighter tone on the raised areas and dark background. Very cameo-like, which I obviously find very intriguing.

Mark: You smoke the surface of the ring and then impress into sealing wax. It's kind of tricky but produces fabulous results. Sometimes I chill the ring with an ice cube, smoke the surface, and then impress. This produces a nice impression and causes the wax to cool quickly.

Faux Wax is a good product for this. I learned of this from a seal engraver in the UK. It works in a low-temp glue gun.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would be guessing with nothing to back me up that he smokes the ring and then wipes a bit of the soot of the top of the wax or whatever that is. Very cool look

(oops, ok, Thanks Sam, now I have something to back me up )

:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors