Health issues

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
And even the BEST ergonomics (chair, scope, vise height) - will only slow down physical degeneration, if you spend enough years doing repetitive work.

It eventually comes down to what you eat, how much real exercise you get, and sleep.
(That's IF there is no abnormal genetic factor, which may include IQ - among those who choose to do hand engraving for a living?)

Functional longevity has a price - you gotta "give up" some things - just as you do in order to hoard sufficient "retirement" funds.

Brian

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some may say that you can take care and still get cancer or some other dread disease and that's true but being lean and strong gives you a hellova lot better chances of survival should that happen.

I personally knew two people that were in top physical condition in every way and have been dead for many years now. Mark was an Iron Man Triathlete and Dr. of Chiropractic who rarely had a sip of wine, never once in his life took any drug including aspirin and he died of liver cancer at the age of 39. Deb was a long distance bicyclist and marathoner who was a Registered Nurse and very much into nutrition, etc. also. She died of parathyroid cancer at age 50. My uncle Marvin was overweight and ate and drank everything he wanted and just about made it to age 90. Being in shape physically doesn't always work out well either.

Last edited:

tolesh

That's why my buddy says "doctors just PRACTICE medicine, they are practicing on you". Sorry Dakota Doc and any other doctors I just had to get that one in.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At 25 I don't have much to contribute to this thread
When I was 25, I thought there was nothing more boring than listening to old people whine about their health problems. Now that I'm approaching 71, I haven't changed my mind. Health problems aren't a badge of honor to be worn like a medal. Rather, they are the result of having abused your body for years and now suffering the consequences.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I was 25, I thought there was nothing more boring than listening to old people whine about their health problems. Now that I'm approaching 71, I haven't changed my mind. Health problems aren't a badge of honor to be worn like a medal. Rather, they are the result of having abused your body for years and now suffering the consequences.

Snowmobile oval track and cross country racing, 8 motorcycle crashes, whiplash twice and one car roll over (5 times over)... I know what you mean. :)

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill,After talking other people about med's I think I'm darn luck to only having to take one blood pressure pill a day. J.J.

JJ, you're very fortunate. My doctor took me off one of my B/P medicines because it reacted to sunlight, a not so pleasant issue. My B/P has not changed from my normal reading, which is well within range, which proves my point. All medicines prescribed aren't necessarily needed.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I personally knew two people that were in top physical condition in every way and have been dead for many years now. Mark was an Iron Man Triathlete and Dr. of Chiropractic who rarely had a sip of wine, never once in his life took any drug including aspirin and he died of liver cancer at the age of 39. Deb was a long distance bicyclist and marathoner who was a Registered Nurse and very much into nutrition, etc. also. She died of parathyroid cancer at age 50. My uncle Marvin was overweight and ate and drank everything he wanted and just about made it to age 90. Being in shape physically doesn't always work out well either.

years ago, a runner, jim fixx --probably the healthiest man alive. he died whilst running.massive heart attack no known health issues, died at around age 40. this gent had a resting heart rate of around 40.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
years ago, a runner, jim fixx --probably the healthiest man alive. he died whilst running.massive heart attack no known health issues, died at around age 40. this gent had a resting heart rate of around 40.

About 85% of the time, the first sign of heart disease is death. When it comes to over exercising the human body, I liken it to having a turbocharged Corvette sitting in the driveway revving the hell out of the engine hoping to make it last longer. :)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anyone on here of an age where they've had to wrestle with Medicare and 100's of varieties of "supplemental" plans?

It's coming up on me pretty soon and from what I have read, one of the worst nightmares to figure out that I have ever seen...

Please reply if you think you found a combination that works! (Off forum if you don't feel comfortable discussing it on here)

Brian

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
I went with straight Medicare and an AARP (United Healthcare) supplement Plan F. It's a graduated pricing plan that starts off with a 40% premium discount and increases every year until it reaches regular pricing. Thus far, I've yet to incur any out-of-pocket expenses. The wife went with the Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan which is a PPO and costs nothing additional. They take over managing your medicare with their own plan. She's ended up paying out the wazoo for several things and is going back to straight Medicare during the October enrollment period with a supplement. Be advised that in 2017, the Plan F's will no longer be available unless you are already enrolled in one.

The Kaiser system had a pretty good plan when the wife worked there, but you can only get care within the Kaiser system. You might want to check them out also since you live there.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks. Every little bit of real world experience helps!

This is looking like it's as bad as dealing with IRS "rules".

Excepting that if you make a mistake with this you may pay even more - or die for lack of "proper coverage"?

I'd planned to set an aptt. to listen to folks at Kaiser have to say... they're only 4 miles away.

Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I've learned that doctors don't cure anything, just treat the symptoms, the way they're taught in school. I'm fortunate to have a doctor that prays with me every time I see him and also believes the patient has a right (no, obligation) to control his health program. He has no problem with me saying NO to certain medications, which I do often when studying the known side effects. We have friends that were so sick they could barely get around and when my doctor drastically cut their medication, they miraculously got better. They were over medicated, with one drug interfering with another creating the prescription for another drug to treat those symptoms, and on and on it went. I think most of us here are intelligent enough to recognize what our own bodies are telling us and not fall into the drug trap. Too much is worse than not enough. After all, most doctors are still "practicing!"

my doc is a caring, concerned woman. the problem-- one of her problems is, she is "told" to offer the latest pharmacological fad. she offers, i refuse. funny, we both respect one another.

Darrell

Brian,
I went with straight Medicare and an AARP (United Healthcare) supplement Plan F. It's a graduated pricing plan that starts off with a 40% premium discount and increases every year until it reaches regular pricing. Thus far, I've yet to incur any out-of-pocket expenses. The wife went with the Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan which is a PPO and costs nothing additional. They take over managing your medicare with their own plan. She's ended up paying out the wazoo for several things and is going back to straight Medicare during the October enrollment period with a supplement. Be advised that in 2017, the Plan F's will no longer be available unless you are already enrolled in one.

The Kaiser system had a pretty good plan when the wife worked there, but you can only get care within the Kaiser system. You might want to check them out also since you live there.
Thanks for that, I am going through this as we speak, I HATE Kaiser, you are just a number, and you can NOT get 2 Docs to agree on anything, it has taken 5 years of being on Norko, to where they may entertain surgery so I can get OFF these horrible pills "hopefully", and I want an outside opinion so I am looking into regular Medicare and AARP plan A, and get a part "D"

and yes, sitting at the bench is only for 20 min at a time, to work around the pain and pills to get a window to do some graving....................but hey, still above the dirt, sun shines sky is blue.:)

Last edited: