rolling block smoke pull

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice layout Shawn it has a nice flow and proportions to it what size beaing punch did younuse for the background?

Mike.. A smoke put us a print directly from the engraving it can be used as a form of recordkeeping or to duplicate engraving you usually make one by sooting the surface with a dirty burning candle or oil lamp thn you carefully put clear tape on the sooted surface .. When you remove the tape you are also,removing the surface soot. You then lay the tape onto a pice of white paper so you can see the resulting print you have made what is called a relief print of the surface as you have white lines on a black background if you scan this into your computer you can invert or reverse this and have black lines on a white sutrface

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Can somebody please explain "smoke pulls" for the noobs?

simple. light a candle and pass the flame over the engraving. be careful to not overheat. soot from the flame will adhere to the surface of the item. when there's an even coat of soot, take a strip of clear packing tape. carefully lay it on the surface, and smooth it down with your finger. lift the tape and place it on a piece of white cardstock. you now have a near photographic record of the engraving. in a way, is superior to a foto.
it's also a way to do pattern transfers. actually, a better way is to use kerosene in an old, glass alcohol lamp. more soot with less heat.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Monk and FANCYGUN, thanks for the explanation, I've seen the term several times, but didn't know how it was done! I appreciate the time you guys spent enlightening me and the other new guys!

Mike

monk

Staff member
Monk and FANCYGUN, thanks for the explanation, I've seen the term several times, but didn't know how it was done! I appreciate the time you guys spent enlightening me and the other new guys!

Mike
i neve even knew of this technique. roger bleile paid me a visit and showed me the trick. it was like magic !

monk

Staff member

Mike
sam produced a dvd on pattern transfer. amongst other ways, he shows how this can be a very good way to do transfers. it's worth the price !

monk

Staff member
Oil or fingerprints on the metal can sometimes interfere with the soot adhesion. I usually wipe the item off with alcohol or acetone on a cloth before smoking. Doesn't work for cigars.

right you are. i never thought to mention that.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn
Not quite sure what a number 9 is sounds more like a jewelry supplier deliniation I use the punches made by Ray Phillips and either a 2 or 1 1/2 usually works for me they hold up really good on steel as opposed to silver which is softer.

monk

Staff member
#9 ? Can I ask of who's set...supplier?

Donny

soot---- the black,carbon residue from the combustion of wax, kerosene, and certain other hydrocarbons. ever hear of lampblack? soot from the glass chimney of a kero burner.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a hurricane lamp with a low wick for smoke, after a final cleaning pass with scotch tape for fingerprints.

Bill

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I'd heard of this before so, finallly, following the old WWII advice of "smoke 'em if you got 'em", I did my first couple of smoke transfers this afternoon using a kerosene lamp turned very low to generate soot.
I'm an utter novice so judge for yourself if this is something a novice is capable of doing; they seem OK to me on the base plate; the sides and definitely the 3d fences need work. The first pull was a bit dark, I think I over sooted it so I took a second pull without resooting the gun. The gun is an early W. R. Pape boxlock ejector with extensive, very small English scroll, so it puts smoking to it's test limits I think. Oh, yes, and if you're wondering what a novice is doing playing around with such a relatively valuable item photo 3 shows the condition of the barrels post proof test :)

Jeremy

Attachments

• light smoke pape.jpg
    light smoke pape.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
  • dark smoke pape.jpg
    dark smoke pape.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • pape barrels.jpg
    pape barrels.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 58

Latest posts