Getting my first airgraver-help please

77cj5

I'm looking at purchasing a GRS monarch or GRS 710 QC handpiece. I have found both used and for about half price of new.
I have never used one and my concern is, could I use these with just regulated shop air and a foot pedal?
Being a single provider for my wife and 2 kids does not leave me with very much money to spend on hobbies. I've been chasing with a hammer and doing simple stuff, just wanted to advance my skills.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the handpieces require a pulsed air supply, not steady that regular compressors deliver.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If I had to choose between the two, it would be the Monarch. But as Monk said, it requires a machine to go with it (Gravermax, Gravermate, GraverSmith, GraverMach, etc). The handpiece does not run on its own.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Airgraver are very expensive if you dont want to pay for it you can go with Hammer and Chissel.
It s the same as in every other Aspekt in live you can reach goals on different ways you can drive with a Mercedes Benz or with a bicycle the same way. And you reach the same goal. But the difference between both is time and money. If you have the money you can go with the Benz. If Not you need more time but the Result will be the same

77cj5

I was afraid of that. Just going to have to start saving. Anyone know of any used systems for sale?

77cj5

I've looked there Dave. It looks like every thing is sold that was listed in the last 4 months.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've looked there Dave. It looks like every thing is sold that was listed in the last 4 months.
Save tour money, it all sells quick, dont think youll see something and then save in hopes it will be there, save in hopes youll buy it in time before someone else does.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I was afraid of that. Just going to have to start saving. Anyone know of any used systems for sale?

don't be "taken in". on the bay, you'll find the stuff ( chinese knockoffs) that have a very nice price. in reality, they aint worth a fiddlers fart ! most of these machines look very much like grs equipment, but they have little longevity in them. very poorly engineered. an example-- i bought a grs gravermeister not long after they hit the market. over 30 years ago. it still works as well as ever.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

Used gear is out there but you have to be patient until it surfaces. It's easy to make very expensive mistakes buying engraving equipment so be really careful. As monk said, be especially wary of equipment on eBay as there are many counterfeits.

77cj5

I'm gonna save some more and try to buy a GRS or Lindsay. I wondered about the Chinese ones if they were halfway decent. Sounds like they are not. I have learned that anything engraving or jewelry making holds its value really well.

Latest posts

Sponsors