Buckle set in progress

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a steel buckle I've been playing with for awhile. I inlayed a fine silver border. Then did a sterling silver overlay which will get carefully polished and engraved with brightcutting shortly. The steel was engraved with my version of "Nimschke" full coverage scroll. The buckle set, which will include a keeper and tip, will be hot salts blued when everything is totally complete. This little project has been a nice diversion to unwind from the various firearms flowing through my studio...more to come

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 399
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 401
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 404

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Wow... That's the sort of thing I really aspire to. I have been working with leather for years and sort of got into the idea of engraving as a result (Jeremiah Watt has been a TERRIBLE influence on me... Just TERRIBLE, I tell ya!!) I make a lot of bags (purses, shotshell, messenger type etc) and would love to engrave my own buckles and conchos. It'll be a while before I get to your level of craftsmanship (if I ever DO!) but I'm already drawing every chance I get and when I'm not doing that I'm here poring through the archives for beginner's tips and ideas...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the beaded background works quite nicely with this. cool stuff!

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I've spent a good bit of time searching for blank, engravable (steel, brass or Sterling) Ranger type buckle sets but the quality stuff is already engraved and the cheap-o sets don't appear to be worth fooling with. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but when the time comes I'd like to be ready to go. A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've spent a good bit of time searching for blank, engravable (steel, brass or Sterling) Ranger type buckle sets but the quality stuff is already engraved and the cheap-o sets don't appear to be worth fooling with. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but when the time comes I'd like to be ready to go. A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

The best thing to do is buy some 1018 steel sheet and some sterling silver sheet in different gauges and fabricate the buckle sets yourself. It's not hard to do if you have a jewelers saw frame and some files and sandpaper. If you have a belt sander it's even easier to refine your saw pierced blanks. For steel you want 0.1" or roughly 12-13 gauge sheet. Sterling a mix of 18, 20, 22, and 24 gauge. If you have a rolling mill large enough you can roll your own sheet from ingots you cast.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! I have all the tools mentioned (minus the rolling mill) already so I'm in good shape on that end. I like the idea of making them myself also.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
The best thing to do is buy some 1018 steel sheet and some sterling silver sheet in different gauges and fabricate the buckle sets yourself. It's not hard to do if you have a jewelers saw frame and some files and sandpaper. If you have a belt sander it's even easier to refine your saw pierced blanks. For steel you want 0.1" or roughly 12-13 gauge sheet. Sterling a mix of 18, 20, 22, and 24 gauge. If you have a rolling mill large enough you can roll your own sheet from ingots you cast.

What type welding set-up do you use to attach the bar?

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors